Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Ok, started as a C enduro rider on a '86 kdx200.

Now, almost 20 years later, I'm thinking of buying a new KDX for a second, dual sport bike.

My second bike right now is a '02 WR426 Yam, tired of all the maintenance, the four stroke noise, weight,.....

So, I'm a 40+ A enduro rider, and as I am also a fatboy now, would undoubtedly need to spring up a new KDX.

Live at 7,000 feet and the KDX will see higher elevations during summer adventures in Colorado

I can do all suspension, and most engine work myself.

If I buy a '03 KDX200, figuring rejetting, a pipe, new fork and shock springs, some bulletproofing (sharkfin, skidplate, hand guards). I'd also wanna install a set of fatbars (not 3/4 inch), so does somebody make replacement bar mounts for the triple clamps?

Any other advice appreciated!

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Don't need grunt on a kdx, IMHO.

Hold the throttle WFO, and use the clutch to control forward speed in technical sections.....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by jaguar
wrong all wrong

WELLLLLLLLL .... I guess he told you Buckholz. Now go stand in the corner of the internet and think about what you've done. :laugh:

To think you've been riding the wrong way all these years. :confused:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Bar mounts for fat bars are easily had. You'll need to talk to someone who sells/makes triple clamps with rubber mounted bar clamps, Applied comes to mind. You'll need to order just the bar clamps and install them in your factory triple clamps. When ordering remembers you have your choice of two or three heights of clamps. If you're tall I'd certainly consider the 1cm-1.5cm raised clamps. You can check here for more info. You'll need D-bolt clamps.

As far as 200 vs 220 IMO you are much better off with the 200. Here's the deal. Buy a new 03 KDX200, pull the cylinder and head and fire it off to Eric Gorr for a 225cc big bore kit, install a good quality o-ring chain and a stiffer set of fork springs. The price will come out to the same as the new 220, you'll get a stronger motor, better handling and a 35mm carb vs the stock 220 for the same price. Makes sense to me.

Oh . . . with the 225cc big bore you'll be able to grunt your way up those big hills. :thumb:

David

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Thanks, Dave, agree with most of your advice! Probably wait on the 225 kit, until the piston is worn, I also kinda like stock engine for long life, particularly on a 2nd, dual sport bike.

So, running hard, what's a good piston change interval on a new KDX. My old aircooler, I'd throw a new piston in every coupla months....

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
KDX220? Dump that piston like the bad seed it is and get a wiesco. The skirst shatter and you can do it on a stock bike. Sure wish the search feature worked so a little research could be done instead of rehashing stuff. There are some here that wish they had spent the 100 bucks before shattering the cases and getting a $1600 bill for repairs. Good Luck. Keep in mind kawasaki built the 220 as a torquer, not a screamer. Look inside the barrel at the porting between the two and you will see what I mean.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
skirts aka skirst
The tee and the ess aree reeeeeeeeeeeversssssssssseeddddddddddd.
( Do I neeD to say thaT slloooooooowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr?????)
EXCUUUUUSE MEEE!!! (as Steve Martin would say) FOR THE TYPO. You can bet I'm gonna do a search right now on every post you've made and point out every typo, grammarical error and puctuation that can be found with SPELL CHECK. (See how anal that sounds? Now go look in a mirror and see what anal looks like. Not pretty, is it?)
Anyway, if considering a 220 be aware that the piston (ain't gonna say it) may fail and take out many costly parts in the process. Now, Excuse me while I retire to my garage and throw a tool. (Cat, better get out of the way!)

Top Bottom