backyard riding...

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
just wondering if this is worth the trouble to clear/doze/sculpt some land, How small is too small when it comes to space? an acre, 5a, 10a? what would you do with an acre or 2?
I have a son wanting to get more seat time and was thinking of clearing some land for "small scaled stadium type" layout - tight turns, a few bumps, etc. we have a few acres, but only 2 are clear and would be easily manipulated. plus I kind of want to keep my timber this close to bow season!!!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
go for it, just make sure you check with your local zoning ordinances because you could end up with a lot more headache than it could ever be worth if you have a neighbor you don't necessarily get along with.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Neighbors is the real key. As long as they fully understand what you are doing. Noise and dust. Farmers snivel about dust blowing on their crops. There are some ways to control that. Water, mulch and sand? The noise is another matter. Set times. Not too many riders. Run a quieter exhaust at home. Start flat and work your way up. Do you have lots of clay for sculpting?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, what others have said, I think that open space to your neighbor is more important than how large the track area is. You can cram some interesting track into a tight space but the only way to keep from bothering the neighbors is to have distance, although watering the track and running the quietest silencer available will help.

Rod

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
My buddy built a track on probably 1/3 - 1/2 of an acre. Its like this:

Start, tabletop, 90 degree right, natural terrain uphill step-up double, 90 degree left, whoops, 180 sweeper right, double, small double, tight 180 right, short straight, 180 degree left, longer straight, 180 right sweeper into the start.

It's not much, but it is seat time.

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
guess I need to go rent the bobcat...plenty of rocky clay, natural elevation changes a plenty here in missouri. nothing about local ordinances unless complaints are filed...we ride now a little at a time with no trouble. just wanted to make it a bit more interesting.

neighbors are fine with it, older empty nest couple that misses the noise of their own 3 boys, and other side is a weekend dad - his son will most likely be on it if I build it....kind of like field of dreams!

Rob - thanks, exactly what I was looking for. do you make it out of second> on paper looks perfect for the young'uns.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
The lay of the land will help determine the track layout. Try marking the track with ribbons as you walk it when laying it out. Try to work around trees and stumps. Though, stumps can be covered with dirt. Avoid stream crossings. Use water breaks(bumps) to keep erosion down on up hills/down hills. Jumps and berms can be added after the track is used some. Building jumps and berms takes dirt and time and you want them placed correctly.

A track will also need maintenance as time goes on. Your own front-end loader of some sort will be a desired item.... : )

Dave

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If the land is grass now, try mowing in the track layout first, then ride it, and see what you think. You might find some turns are too tight, some sections too short, etc. Once you're happy with it, then start adding obstacles and jumps as needed. :ride:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…