MXobssesed4

Aug 2, 2006
where i ride at, there's a whoop section then a 90 degree berm, i am standing through the whoops then sitting,rolling the bike and exiting, but... there's a straightaway to another 90 degree berm, i come to the berm then when i slow down and brake i stand up, then sit down in the middle of the turn, is this a bad habbit? would it be faster just to sit down the whole time? thanx for any advice

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I forget where I read it, I think MXGirl said it on this forum once before, but you should always be standing, only sitting to get control/speed out of the corners. Standing gives you more control over the bike.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I agree with Elliot. Stand at all times possible. When you approach the turn, stay standing while you're braking. When your butt hits the seat for the turn you should be on the gas and ideally this is not in the middle of the turn, but close to the entrance. One thing I used to do was have our instructor stand at the spot in the turn where I was sitting. You can then see just how far you really are into the turn before getting back on the power. Then the next time through, with him still standing there, you can try and get on it a bike length or more sooner.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It has always been my impression that the transition from standing with your weight to the rear while braking to sitting up front should be done at the point when you want the front tire to get the most bite...that is when you enter the sharpest part of the turn.

I'll wake up Billy, Wardy, AJ, or Jeremy for an expert opinion, though.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I've ridden Trial bikes for two years (always standing of course) and yet I sit too often on the dirtbike and find the standing position uncomfortable... A better riding position will be the targeted objective for me right at the beginning of the next season as it is the base for good riding skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom