Bad luck at the races? Or is this normal?

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Ok, so my 2nd race on the 250F was this weekend. Even though I'm 33, I race in the 125 Beginner Class because I just started riding.

The first race, they put us at the gate with the 125 C riders and announce it will be 2 gates with the C riders going first. The gate drops, and 2 guys from the beginner class take off. They reload the gate and we take off. I got my first whole shot and then led for 3 laps when I get passed by another guy in our class. He passes me in the air on a 90 foot triple (that I was only doubling). So I come in 2nd, not bad (though you'd think someone clearing a jump that big wouldn't be in the beginner class? Or should I just shut my whining up and jump it too :) ). Then they announce we have to rerun our race because those guys went off. Shouldn't the race stand and those guys be DQ'd or something for riding the wrong gate? :bang:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Usually they would just be DQ'd. Weird that they decided to rerun the moto. Also, you will usually come across sandbaggers is almost every class. Some tracks/organizations have rules stating beginner classes aren't allowed to double/triple jumps.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Around here if you jump on a double gate drop you have 30 seconds to get back in the gate or you are DQd no restart the thing my son does in double gate drops if he is in the 2nd drop is to put his clutch hand on top of his head until the gate resets then put it in gear so you don't have the temptation. One of his friends that rides the same class jumps every time even if we remind him in the gate and then he is rushing back for the reset and never quite gets set before his drop. I have even stood next to him to try to keep him from jumping but he still goes

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Sounds pretty fishy to me, although the track operators make whatever rules they wish. Definate sandbagging but thats also up to those who make the rules at your track. Congrats on the second place finish. How'd you do on the restart?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Around here I doubt most of the guys in 125C would be jumping a 90 foot triple. . . I shorted a 60 foot triple and it about killed me - literally.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Ahh, the sandbagging. Sucks don't it? If you are a beginner, may I ask how comfortable you are doubling? If it's no problem at all, you may not have much to complain about!

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
ReesKnight, the 2nd race was run in the pouring rain and I laid it down in a turn in the last lap. I couldn't even see it was raining so hard! Came in 5th out of 8 but was in 3rd before laying it down.

This "triple" has a relatively forgiving landing area that isn't very peaked and the track is pretty soft packed in the area. If you don't get run over doing it, many ppl can crash on it and get up in a few minutes to ride again. But still, pretty big for a beginner class. Nearly everyone in the C class and up is clearing it though so I guess I need to get it together!

Top Bottom