tator

Feb 17, 2004
I know this was not a posted DRN ride but I'm posting it in hopes that it will become one next year. Well actually we rode the Baja 600, because thats how many miles we rode. We left Ensenada after all the bikes and quads had started, this gave us time to make it to Ojos Negros before the Throphy Trucks and other fast vehicles would be on the course. This was a great 40 mile ride on an off road race course lined with people and their booby traps that would be an eye opener of what was to come. that first 40 miles was not that bad because it was still in the morning. We set up our camp with our chase trucks at about 9:00am and wanted for the Big Boys to come thru (trohpy trucks & fast buggies). We were in Ojos Negros and thought that the fast fast guys would be really moving by then, but they were't. Well it did not take long to figure out why. As the afternoon wore on so did the beers with the locals. I can not even begain to tell you what takes place down there, small chirldren playing near or on the race course, locals driving the wrong way on the race course and people throwging beer cans at the racers. Even with all this going on I could not wait to get back on the race course and head for Mikes Sky Rancho. We left after all the fast vehicles, we jumped in the race again after the Hummers went by (we past all of them by Valle De La Trinidad). The ride from Ojos to Trinidad was about one amazing event after another people out in the middle of no were, race cars and teams tring to get back in the race, no roads no people nothing around but yet there are cactus on FIRE yes on fire don't ask because we did and never got a good answer. We rode into Mikes Sky Ranch at about 6pm. just in time for dinner. Mikes Sky Rancho, I can't even begain to understand how some one would build a Hotel 50 miles from any electricity or water but some did and it is a great place(and after riding 180 miles its even a greater place to see). That was the first day we still had alot of ground to cover and see. The plan was to hit San Felipe and head down to Punta Willard. About 200 miles, but a few small detours to see or just to say I did it were the Laguna Diablo and the Cerro de la Cupula Observatory. Well once we got all of our sight seeing in and out to the beach it was getting dark. Now its dark, we don't know were we are going (hopefully our chase trucks do) and my batteries are dead on my night sun(thanks to Mikes) Well an hour into the night we found our beach house. No electricity,no water,or beds. It was the best place I ever stayed. Thats enough, I could go on forever about this trip, But all I want to know is WHO IS IN FOR NEXT YEAR. Who is up for 30 miles + of total wooped out sand washes,( we had to rebuild two front wheels thanks to the rock in those sand washes) locals throughing water at you, bizzar sights out in the middle of nowhere. This is the BAJA people pay to be shown around down there and to ride. I go with my so called friends, two of which have won the Baja 1000 twice and the 500 numerouse times. But I will tell you their knowalge of that desert is priceless when you've been riding for 3 hours and suddenly pop up on a road and there is your chase trucks with your gas and a meal or snack.

tator

Feb 17, 2004
I don't know what happened to my report (Thankfully I was cut off) But hopefully this can be a real DRN report next year. Who's in, start getting those kicthen passes now! Next year it's Santo Tomas, Colonet, and Lazaro Cardenas. OUT

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Great start tator ... ;)

Now get busy and tell us the rest of the story!

Sonds like fun. I gather you were on the course the same time as the race.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
That sounds pretty hairy .. but I bet you just felt so exhilarated when it was over and you were in one piece .. what a buzz.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Tator, Do you still have the TrailTech. Do you need it now that you have the WatchDog?? I'll buy it if you don't need it. I'd need the cable and the pickup too.

Can't make the Christmas Knight's event, bike is only a frame and motor will be on it's way to Eric Goor's, but I hope to be up for the UEA.

Ed

Top Bottom