Bar Replacement Opinions; 6 footers

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Hey guys, finally bent the stock handle bar badly enough to warrant replacement. Looking for opinions on a good replacement as far as "fit". I'm just over 6' and the stock bar actually fits OK , except when standing; feels too close and too low at the same time, if that makes any sense.We do an awfull lot of standing, so this is important to me. What do others like and what width do you cut them to? Thanks for any input, JimG :)

Aflica

May 23, 2004
hey there , i had to replace or cut mine to use bark busters , so i went with the new Pro Taper SE (SE stands for seven eights) so no bar mount changeing. They are a great bar as you would expect from Pro Taper , with a real small price tag. I got mine for 50 Canadian. I went for the CR HI bend as i like to stand on the pegs a lot and they fit me great that way. Hope this helps and i know you wouldnt be dissapointed with them. After all , they are Pro Taper's

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
See if you can find a KX High bend, they are really tall with very minimal sweep. I like them a lot on my YZ, I am 6'1".

junior224466

Jun 4, 2003
The tallest bars I could find were 909 – Bob Lamay’s. I also like Renthal – Jimmy Button bars. You might also want bar risers. My risers move the bars forward 1 inch and raise the height 1 inch. These were old risers from my XR400. I’m sure they make bar risers for the KDX.

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
Another thing that you can do is rotate the handlebar mounts to shift them towards the front about an inch.

I am also a little over 6', and this made a big difference.

For moredetails on how to do it, check out tech tips section in Canadian Dave's KDX page at www.dirtrider.net/justkdx

I highly recommend doing this, bike will feel a lot more roomy.

rutrider

Aug 12, 2004
I am also a little over 6`, alot of my rideing is done standing up i've put ktm enduro bend
fat bars because thay have the least sweep and the fat bar mounts rase the bars 17 mm
have a look at a few bar web sites

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Have a look here: http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/tall.html for some suggestions. You can also use bar risers intended from aftermarket triple clamps with rubber bar mounts to move the bars up higher and further forward. This combined with a taller bar like those already mentioned will certainly help out. Here is a link to a bar mount add so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.mxsouth.com/applied/apppg04.htm You'll need the D-Bold style. This is just one example almost everyone who makes triple clamps will be able to supply you with the mounts.

David

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If you ride in the woods--MSR Dominator Mini High handlebars are inexpensive, higher than CR High bend and narrow enough you do not have to cut them down! Yes, bark busters will fit on them. Just another option. Ride on John Harris

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Moose also makes a Mini bend 7/8" bar that has about 5" of rise compared to 3.8" for the CR High bend. A thing to consider is the mini bend is only 28.5" wide compared to 32" for most bars. Like John said above, no cutting required. At 6' 1" I like the minis, especially standing.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
My bike has Renthals(don't know what bend,very little sweep) and the clamps reversed.I have long arms and it fits me well sitting or standing.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I'm 6'5 and run Jimmy Button's, bar risers and clamps spun 180 degrees. I'm still waiting to test ride it with the risers (and WER, new top end. etc). It feels alot better sitting and standing on the bike then before. I will be doing a ride report once I have my suspension (total rebuild, revalve with gold valves) done in early November. If you have big feet like me, extending the foot levers by 1/2 inch works well. Cheers tREV

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom