Bark Busters On Factory Bars?

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
I am installing a pair of aluminum bark busters on my kdx 200 and i sawed off the end of the hand grip and throttle and the factory bars have a long plug inside each end and the mount that goes in the bar will not fit into it with the plug in place, Any suggestions as to what I should do about my little predicament?:(

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Stock bars are made out of sheet metal. Do yourself a favor and get some decent bars, one small accident and those stock bars will bend.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The metal plugs on the end of the stock bars are to reduce vibration. To knock them loose you can drill a hole about a 1/2" deep in the end, then thread a lag bolt into the end. As you spin the bolt with a wrench, it will break the spot welds holding the metal plug in place.

But the previous response is correct - the stock bars are junk.

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
those stock bars are tough enough, that plug extends about 2 or 3 inches inside the pipe. Its there to hold down vibration, you can saw all the way though it, lean your bike over tap on your bars and sometimes it will fall out easy.. Or get you a plumbers pipe cutter and run it around the bar and keep tighten it, till you cut though and pull the plug out. Its welded on the very end.
I have had some bad crashes with my stock bars, and no bends yet..

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Thanks

Thanks for all the info youve all supplied, I've ground down the welds on the plug, still they will NOT come out or push in. I think I will just go get a set of good bars. Any suggestions besides Pro Taper ?:p

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Tag X-5's

I like the Tag Metals X-5 bars, they are 1 mm thicker than the Renthall Bars in the middle sections so they won't bend as easy. These are 7/8 bars that will mount right on your bikes stock bar mounts.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Owenlo,

PTs will require you to get different bar clamps and possibly different fork clamps. Either way is more $$ than just bars.

A good set of Renthals will do the trick for about $70 and bolt right up. I'd suggest the 89-91 CR Honda bend, also referred to as CR Hi bends.

Whatever you do, stay away from the MSR Dominator bars. They are a POS lookalike of the Renthals.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
NO PLUGGIE COMIE OUTIE

Sorry Somissone, The plug WILL NOT come out, or go in. I have heated it put an air chisel to it and litterally beat the daylights out of it and it has only moved about one half a millimeter. After exhausting myself for 3 hours I have decided to go with a set of RENTHAL CR Hi Bend bars. Thanks for your persistence in the fact that the plug will come out but all this work is not worth it if I go out and bend the bars the first time I lay it down. Besides, Now I will have EMERGENCY backups. At least that is how I'll rationalize it to the wife. HAHAHA:) Thanks Everybody for All your help. This site and the people are the greatest.

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
Owenlo,
I, too, had a hard time removing the left side plug on the stock bars. The throttle side came out easily while I was enlarging the hole to tap for mounting bark busters. The left side was a different story. I tried using a punch to drive it in to loosen the epoxy (?) but to no avail. I drilled a hole and tried an easy-out, still no success. I then used a propane torch and the easy-out and it almost fell out! I'd suggest purchasing the new bars but cut down the OEM bars and set them up in case you do need them in the future.
By the way, what in the #$% does Kawasaki use to mount their grips? I had to cut mine basically in pieces and sand off a lot of residue!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Kevin,

They may be lighter than stock but are weak and bend like stock.

For my time and money, I'd rather do the Renthals and save the effort of replacing the Dominators two or three times, what with cutting them down, moving over the bark busters, enduro computer, roll chart holder, etc.

In the end you come out money ahead unless you like riding around with bent bars.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
so in other words they bend easily and they suck? well i guess i will buy renthals next time. i just got the dominators cuz i didn't have the money for the renthals but next time i will buy the renthals. thanks for the input.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The MSR Dominator bars are sold under other labels. They are a cheaper eastern import bar nowhere near on par with a set of Renthals or Dominos.

KTM ran Dominos for years and recently switched over to Renthals on the non-fat bar bikes. The Renthals and Dominos look alike except for the stamped name down between the bar clamps.

They will do you fine, but are softer and will bend easier than the Renthals.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom