CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
I'm sure we have been through this before but I don't remember which is the hot set up in the way of "Bark Busters" Any Advise? Thanks :worship:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You will find a number of opinions, I'm sure.

From what I've seen (that makes this my opinion fwiw) enduro engineering guards (the metal bar part) with the added brush guards (plastic/resin/whatever covers) seem like a good bet.

FRP sells them. I've seen them sold under different names. At least close enough to the same that I couldn't tell the difference.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Cycra pro bend is a very nice setup, I would say, the best advice is what ever ones you get, weld a nut inside of the pipe, the slip wedge style ancors most guards come with royally suck. a nut, or somthing welded on the ends of the bars will allow, removeal, and rigid securing of the guards to the bars.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I bought some cheap aluminum barkbusters on e-b-a-y and and drilled and tapped them so I could add Maier plastic shields to them. I've done this on my KDX as well as as the DR

Total cost both bikes: $83

Attachments

• dr.jpg
    dr.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 272
  • kdxbarkbusters.jpg
    kdxbarkbusters.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
FWIW, I have the Fredette models, and they were a pain in the *@% to install. Once I got them on, I had to use a rubber mallet to beat them into a position that looked close to being correct. (I have CR Hi bend handlebars) The FRP guards also weren't cheap...roughly $85 for everything (metal guards and plastic shrouds).

If I had it to do over again, I would get the Moose guards; they look like they would provide the same protection and they are cheaper. Be sure you get the plastic shrouds that screw onto the metal guards too.

I've seen some Acerbis hand guards (metal + plastic) that really looked good, but I don't have any experience with them.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
A friend ordered a set from MSR and they came in MSR packaging but with E.E. stickers on the Bark Busters. They were just over half the price of EE. Check it out

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
wanaride said:
I would get the Moose guards; they look like they would provide the same protection and they are cheaper.

$39.95 at Dennis Kirk ($49.95 for Fatbars).... no plastic guards, just the aluminum rail w/mounts... mine mounted up with no problems in 10 minutes (had to cut the provided rubber 'tube' spacer to fit my bars (utility knife)...

Moose Aluminum Handguard for 7/8 in. Bars
part# 615204
Price
$39.95

Moose Aluminum Handguard for Flex, Pro-Taper and Fat Bars
part# 615208
Price
$49.95

they also have the plastic if you want it....

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, maybe I was too hard on FRP's guards... :ugg:

I just checked their website and the metal guards are $42.95, the plastic shrouds are $24.95.

The guards would have been easy to install were it not for the welded vibration reducer in the ends of the stock bars. Once I threw out those bars and replaced them with MSR aluminum ones, the install was easy.

I DID have to use a rubber mallet to get them to line up with the levers, and I also had to cut the tips off of my clutch/brake levers so they would fit under the shrouds. After all of that, the guards have done a great job thus far; a few falls and tree taps later, the guards have some scratches but that's it. They do work as advertised. :cool:

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
my guards are beat up badly.... but I have never needed to replace a lever since I got them.... I didn't need to cut any levers (my busters are set just a tad higher than the levers, which would almost touch the busters if not... more or less straight out from the bars)

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Tusk Barkbusters from RockyMountainMC. $20 is pretty tough to beat. Mine have been great, and i've had the crashes to test them with :-)

-Maurice

Last edited:

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
I've considered the tusk BB's before. Looks like they are now in stock at Rocky Mtn. I do believe that these are the best bang for the buck. They offer the plastic deflectors seperately for $9.99, but sadly don't offer them in green.

Is anyone running this bark buster set-up? Do they work well? Any mounting/fitting problems? Got pics?

Thanks in advance. AND FWIW, I've orederd from Rocky Mtn several times and have never had any problems. Great company to deal with.

Top Bottom