Basic (Stupid) Question

Mark W

May 12, 2004
OK, finally got the factory manual for the 2002 KDX220 so know I can at least learn the terminology. Looks like I have a few things to do prior to the next ride. Thought of a few real basic questions.

1. When changing the gear oil, how do you know when the bike is exactly level. I assume this will make a difference in the "sight" window. I will drain the oil on the bikes kick stand and then put it on a bucket/pail/whatever to refil the case. How do you know when it is level front to back? Does it even matter?

2. Looks like some jetting is in store for me. Nice to have the manual to find everyhing. Looks easy enough to do - is it?

3. Removing the snorkle and drilling holes looks simple enough.

4. any suggestions on the best way to clean a chain? I used to race pedal bikes and it was a simple matter of removing the chain and either soaking it or ultrsonically cleaning the thing. Doesn't appear this is as easy on the KDX.

5. I definitley need new springs on the front. Is this a DIY'er job?

6. Finally, best place to learn the proper riding techniques etc... My son (KLX110) is doing real well - better than his old man, and I would like for him to get some proper instruction. A track that is relatively close by is offering a class for $95/rider for a day of instruction. Is this something for all ages? Any other options to learn how to brake, jump (small ones), etc...

Thanks for the help. We are really enjoying this sport together.

Mark

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
1.use full quart to refill stops that clattering noise
2.be patient make changes one step at a time read archived posts on this subject
3.yes
4.use a simple green kind of cleaner and soft nylon bristle brush
5.with basic mechanical skills no problem
6.this one is your call an education is never a waste unless you dont use it.
good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…