TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
After purchasing new wrenches (Imagine my very basic tool kit not having 22 and 27mm wrenches ;-) ), I tightened the chain on my KDX following the instructions in the owners manual (it was at 3.1" and I set it at 2.2").

How do I tell if the wheel is aligned properly? The owners manual makes reference to the "string" and the "straight edge" method, but doesn't tell how to do this.

Also, the manual calls for 80 lbs. of torque on this nut. I don't have a torque wrench, but tried to replace the nut with an amount of torque that felt similar to how it felt when I took it off. Will this work, or do I need to buy a torque wrench ($60 at Home Depot - Yikes!).

Thanks!

Scott

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
The snail tickmarks were dead on accurate on my KDX - I am sure yours are the same. Just make sure you are positively seated in matching grooves.

I never used to have a torque wrench, but after buying my KTM it was a must since EVERYTHING is aluminum.

I found a nice one on Ebay for $20 with micrometer adjustment. I tested with my neighbors snap on and it is within 1 pound all the way around. His cost $200 +.

sn

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
if you have a Cummings tool store in your area they have torque wrenchs for $20 , real cheap investment . i also tested mine at my work and its acurate within a pound at different settings , i've had a problem stripping out stuff before so i have forced myself to buy one . :)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I got my Husky t-wrench from Home depot. $45 or so. I think it has a range of 1 to 100 lbs.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
A torque wrench is a good tool investment, but you do not need one to tighten a rear axle. 80 ft lbs is about as tight as you can get it with a 6" ratchet or wrench. Watch out on the front axle though--the clamps bolts are fragile and their torque settings are in inch pounds not foot pounds! Big difference! Snail adjusters on KDX are about as true as most people can get the rear wheel. Just be sure they are in the same grove on both sides.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Sears also sells a model for $25 that works real good. It has an old fashion dial guage on it. They also sell one for $80 that has a digital display.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I have a FRP Riders Wrench that I carry in my fender bag.

It will work on both axles, plus it is a sparkplug wrench!

Top Bottom