Basic Suspenion Tuning for my CR

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I took my first ride in about 2 months yesterday and I am finally realizing the potential of my machine, and I need to set it up to better suit my weight and riding style.

I am about 5'11 and a little over 190 lbs. I ride an '01 CR125. Right now the suspension is at the stock settings I believe. I need it to be stiffer to suit me. Most of our jumps are pretty tiny but I can feel a good deal of travel even on those. Without getting too crazy, how can I stiffen up the front and back of my bike, not too stiff to where I take a beating but stiff enough so I don't travel too much on little bumps and jumps.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Start with setting sag, as per your manual, or tuning guide at www.mxtech.com Play with clickers from there to fine tune. Again the tuning guide at MX Tech is invaluable.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Also look into the spring rate generator-see if the springs are correct for your weight.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Ok sounds good. I need to get a spanner though for the rear shock, hopefully I can borrow one from someone.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
You don't really "need" a spanner. You can use a punch and hammer to loosen the lock collar, then simply turn the spring to turn the preload collar.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah I did it before on my XR200 with a screwdriver and rubber mallet. It worked well although it dug in a little. I suppose something with a little more blunt tip on it would be better.

INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
JTT hey buddy i cant get no where with the mx tech link u posted is it still valid?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…