BBR Pipes

We just tried out BBr's new pipes for the 250F they are amazing !! We tried the SX header which has a lot more pull off the bottom and mid and a little better on top .
My son tried the Mx header and found more bottom , mid and way more on top with more over rev. he loves it.

ACS

I'm pretty happy with the BBR pipe on Yamaha TTR 125. Power is up and much more responsive on stock engine. On modified engine its really good. Fit is 8 out of 10.

I have a BBR pipe on my TTR-125 as well. Could tell a little difference in power, but not alot. A BIG increase in noise. I think it is the most obnoxiously loud pipe I've ever heard. Trying to sell mine.

I hear FMF has a really neat, super-trapp like pipe that is quieter and gives more power than the BBR. Just my opinion.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Originally posted by TGilliam
I hear FMF has a really neat, super-trapp like pipe that is quieter and gives more power than the BBR. Just my opinion.
The BBR pipe is designed as a closed course pipe which MAY make too loud for sound restricted areas just like the rest of the aftermarket pipes.
In it's intended environment it's a lot less noticeable. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with the FMF pipe if you are looking for power without sound. The power on that pipe is directly proportional to the sound output, i.e. when you make it quiet it clips the power (and acceleration) in a fairly linear fashion. It's a bit less noticeable on an intake restricted engine like the TTR125, but the effect is still VERY pronounced. Sorry :(

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Keep in mind that db numbers are only really relative when compared to numbers tested in a like fashion. Isolating the source of sound output on a running engine isn't the easiest thing in the world to test or compare, which may account in part for the wild claims from some of the aftermarket companies . The airbox ultimately has a profound effect on the final sound output measured.

Vic

***** freak.
I'm still waiting for someone to post my end cap mod drawing.:)

Magoo

Subscriber
I put the Big Gun pipe on the wife's TTR. It's spark arrested, so it'll be OK for trail riding, and it's not excessively loud. That was a big concern; since she's constantly complaining about my Harley:D ...
She thinks it sounds good (a little "meatier" than stock), it doesn't get on her nerves, and the bike is "peppier".

Powroll also has a nice stainless system that runs a supertrapp muffler.

The BBR pipe is loud because it's designed for closed course racing. It also isn't spark arrested, so nobody should be buying it for trail use anyway, right??

What we've found after testing a gazillion exhaust systems at Poker Runs over the last few years is that the disk system mufflers tend to be quieter on the four strokes than the two-stroke style silencers.

The quietest new systems we've tested (on lots of different bikes and quads) are the Supertrapp IDS 2 and the White Brothers (thier new one, I can't remember the name right now, sorry!).

BTW, after dyno testing and track testing, we found the TTR 125 does better with the stock headpipe and just a muffler modification (either Powroll's thrust chamber, or homemade) if the engine is stock.

Once you install a bore kit and camshaft, then the pipe is needed.

Agreed, the BBR pipe is loud, but mine does have a spark arrestor. It can be ordered with or without spark arrestor.

Ahhh, I didn't know they offered it with the SA. Sorry about that. You're right then, they should mention something about the sound when they're selling it.

ACS

Hmmmmmm. I'm suprised with those noise numbers.

We race with a late model round BBR TTR 125 pipe along with Powroll cam, 26mm carb air box opened up etc and I find the bike a lot quieter than a lot of bikes.

It is used for MX and in amongst CR 80/KX 85/YZ80 it is hard to even hear it. Around YZ250F and 426 plus others with other pipes its well below their noise levels. It is also quieter than the ProCircuit equiped hot XR80 that we raced.

It always depends on how the sound test is done. And without a tach, there's absolutely no way to know if you're getting a correct reading or not.

I did test a BBR piped TTR at our last Poker Run. It was below the 99 dB sound limit, tested at 3,425 rpm. I don't remember what the exact number was, so I'm not going to say, but I believe it ran in the 97 dB range.

The only other TTR with an aftermarket system was one running the Big Gun. It tested at 95/96. Very close.

BBR Pipe for the 01 YZF 426

I was reading about everyone talking about the 250F and the BBR pipes. Has anyone tried a BBR pipe on the 426 and used it for motocross? I just bought the bike and I am looking down the road for a pipe. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Cahillmd - you might want to post your question as a new thread. I'm sure someone out there has used the BBR YZF 426 pipe.

Rich..
Are we talking about the pipe on Scooter's TTR here? If so, someone is exaggerating big time… then the BBR pipe on Jen’s is even less noisy. Neither of those pipes are "loud". Compared to the plugged-up stock unit maybe…

Maybe I’m just confused?<--- like that never happens :confused: