Bearings loose in rear hub - fixable?

DCWarren

Sep 2, 2002
Does anyone know if there is someone who can repair a rear hub on my 1998 CR250? The outer races of the bearings are loose in the hub. Thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yes, the problem is fixable, the question is however, "how did it happen?".

Either your hub is damaged (an expensive repair) or the bearings got so beat-up that they deformed the outer race.

If the hub is damaged you will have to replace it which will require relacing the entire wheel.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
You could go to a machine shop and buy some .001 or thicker shim stock. Wrap a piece of it around the bearing and add red loctite. Then re-install the bearing in the hub.

If you do it right it will last for a long time.

Good luck!

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Someone d to advertise a fix for this in the back of dirt bike mags. It involved boring out the hub and shrinking in some sort of collar.
I would think that if this is done properly it should be as good as new. I have no idea where to look for this, but hopefully this gives you some idea to start your search.
Everytime you lube your chain you should "wiggle" your wheel to check for bearing play. But I guess you know that now!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I bought a new rear wheel assy for my 01 125sx when I lost the bearing froze up during a race. It included hub, wheel all laced up and new bearings & spacers for my for $200. from the KTM dealer and it was an excell. I think it was a "take off" from a new bike that they had tricked out with new rims and hub.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you can't get it repaired, the cheapest place for a new replacement i have found is Service Honda. $340 gets the complete rim with bearings and seals installed.

Top Bottom