derekk87

May 29, 2002
I replaced the front wheel bearings in my 2002 yz125 this morning but I forgot to put the little bar thing back in the hub beetween the bearings. Do I need to order another set and put this bar in or is it safe to ride? Thanks a lot.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
The little bar is there as a spacer, so that when you tighten down on the bearings, they stay a certain distance apart, and dont come together. I dont think it is safe to ride without that bar in there. You should only have to replace one of the bearings to put the bar back in there. Pound one of them out, then put the bar back in, then replace the one bearing you pounded out. If you are careful and remove the one slowly, you might be able to just reuse it until you buy another bearing to replace it.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
Well today I was ridin it down the road and it started to wobble like crazy so Im tryin to order a new set of bearings to replace it and do it right. It was moving so much my brake disk contacted part of the caliper.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You may find that the inner races have been pushed into the hub (where the spacer was suppose to be). If that happened you will have a very difficult time knocking the bearings out since you normally press against the inner race to remove them. I wouldn't be surprised if you took it apart and the bearings and inner races fell out on the floor. I hope not.

If you find that that is the case a machine shop might be able to get the outer races out. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
Ya they came apart when I took my wheel off. I think with a good punch I can get them out. Well Ill let you all know what i find out.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
Well i ended up heating up the hub and then prying the outer race out with some channel locks. It slid right out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom