BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Took the family to Colorado for the weekend, left Amarillo On Friday at 4PM, made it to Peublo that night, drove through Des Moines in New Mexico, very pretty, black rock mountains, passed through Raton, and into Colorado, Trinidad, jewel of the Southern Rockies. What a great way to enter Colorado, the scenery in the south is fantastic.

Saturday headed out to Canon City and the Royal gorge, some beautiful scenery, the worlds highest suspension bridge, very scary, also amazing views. Took the back road through Penrose to Colorado Springs, stopped at Old Colorado City for a flea market fest, then drove through the town, and ended up at Castle Rock for the night.

Sunday we headed for Denver, did not stop but went on through to Boulder and stopped there. We then headed to Lyons, Estes and through the Rocky Mountain National Park, saw a lot of deer, no bears, went up high into the mountains, almost 12000 feet up, fantastic scenery, made a huge loop, and ended up coming through Fraser, and had dinner in Denver at the outback. On the way out of Denver, picked up some Krispy Kremes, and stopped back at our hotel in Castle Rock.

Monday, we headed home, stopped at Colorado Springs again, drove through the Garden of the Gods, wow, this place ROCKS, drove through historic town of Manitou, some abfab B&B's in the hills, which took us to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Colorado Springs has it all, great beauty and some very interesting places to visit. I think we will go back in August to see more. Did not even get time to go up Pikes Peak.

We then headed for home, and clever me, decided to go through Taos New Mexico, took a back route from Walsenburg, and ended up in Taos, very artsy place, stopped for some of the best Cappuccino I have ever had, and then decided to go through Santa Fe on the way home, must say all the Adobe Pueblo style architecture is great, makes for a nice change.

Got home to Amarillo just after midnight - very tired today. All in all, a fantastic trip.

Next time, I hope to call in on Jen CJ Rider, and the Dirt Family too, was too rushed up this time, we decided on Thursday to do the trip.

Yup, the question was asked, where is the best place to live, and Colorado Springs must definitely top the list. Mind you a few thousand acres in Des Moines New Mexico would be nice. Also Santa Fe, or Taos for the riding, these places look to have the best trails on earth.

Next time ....

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I've been to the royal gorge twice and each time I was in complete amazement of the view and the bridge. Cool place to see but the 20 bucks to walk across is still a little steep.

DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
Alan, way kewl!! Glad you liked it and glad to hear you'll be coming back this way! I thought Jen said you were coming out later this summer?
Katie

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
What a wonderful trip for your family; 'glad ya'll enjoyed yourselves for sure!

The coolest thing about living in Colorado Spring is that the Woodland Park/Divide trail system is only a 20 minute drive from there! OR you could work in Colorado Springs and LIVE in Woodland Park. Hey now THERE's and idea; LOL!

Definitely PM us when you're thinking of heading this way again and we'll organize a bit of a spodely-fest with a bunch of us local spodelies! We're definitley looking forward to heading your way when the weather turns snowy here too!

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
It's

P-U-Eblo, ;)
Born and raised there. :)

Name originates from an old trapper and his mule named Eblo.
One winter they nearly froze to death and had nothing to eat except pintos.
Next evening around the campfire a horrendous ripping noise was heard and the ol trapper turned and said; P-U Eblo, :) and the name stunk -- I mean stuck. :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
That's pretty funny KW! I spent about a month or better in colorado springs working up there. It was nice. I was not very far from the Garden of the Gods. The only thing I did not like much there was the traffic. It sucked to say the least. They had one accident on the Freeway there and I was almost 2 hrs late. There is just not a lot of alternate routes around things like that. Other than that it seemed like a nice place to live.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Plenty miles, don't know the milage, but I have a pretty sore back .... side !!! :eek: :)

Last year we did Amarillo to Indianapolis in one day, 1100 miles in 16 hours :scream:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
We went to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs last summer. Great times, we really like Colorado. One creepy thing was that stretch of road through the desert that has like 20 or 30 prisons on it.

Top Bottom