Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
cycle news

Everts Doubles again

L&M Yamaha's Stefan Everts won both the 125cc and the MXGP at the Grand Prix of Namur in Belgium today, the Belgian taking over the points lead in the MXGP World Championship in the process.

Everts beat KTM's Joel Smets by 1.4 seconds to win the MXGP with Corona Extra Suzuki's Mickael Pichon finishing third, some 49 seconds behind his championship rival. Everts' victory combined with Pichon's third place finish gives Everts the lead in the championship for the first time all season, 175-173. There are four rounds remaining. Smets, meanwhile, is just five points behind Pichon with 168 points after finishing second for the sixth time on the season.

To make his weekend even better, Everts also won the 125cc Grand Prix, his third in a row. Everts topped championship leader Steve Ramon by 9.7 seconds with Andrea Bartoloni taking third.

Ramon continues to lead that championship with 160 points to Bartolini's 148. Everts is fifth in the 125cc standings after missing the first three rounds.

MXGP Results

1. Stefan Everts (Yamaha)

2. JOel Smets (KTM)

3. Mickael Pichon (Suzuki)

4. Marnicq Bervoets (Yamaha)

5. James Dobb (KTM)

6. Andrew McFarlane (Kawasaki)

7. Kenneth Gundersen (Kawasaki)

8. Brian Jorgensen (Honda)

9. Joshua Coppins (Honda)

10. Claudio Federici (Yamaha)

4. Brian Jorgensen (

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I notice Dobb is right back up there now he has ditched the 250 and gone to the 450.Goto be impressed with smets keeping with Everts so close-how old is smets now??And MP has really lost it mentally i feel-i now doubt he could run with RC for more than a few races-it seems once he gets beat a few times he looses it mentally.Everts used to do this but has now gone the opposite way.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I agree with you marcus, he blamed a hard pack surface for this one again.... Everts is just soo strong, there was only a 45min gap in-between races for him, thats not including the things he has to do post race. Everts isnt really a spring chicken so to speak either, but Smets would be mid 30's yeah? And what about Smets lossing the 650 class??!!! But talk about fairy tale's, Cedric Melotte (sp) winning the 650 class and only been born down the road form the circut!! 'There were many people on the track and I really hoped they would not cause me to crash!' Sounds like a great place to be and from what ive seen on tv prevous years and the des nations its truely like no other motocross track, but so great to see them ride through the woods to jumping out of the woods to the Citadelle, you have to see it to believe it.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Smets lost a 650 race???????? has hell frozen over???????
I wasnt really keeping my eyes on the GPs this year as they were a bit boring with MP and Smets winning everythings-sounds like its hotting up:)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Who's Marnicq Bervoets (Yamaha)?
How 'bout McFarlane and Gunderson?

Believe it or not, I'd like to see Pichon on a 4 stroke on those tracks. You've gotta know Zook/Kawi have a 450 thumper already built, undergoing refinement. You'd think, like they always do, they'd bring it out a year or two early for Pichon to race it.

Marcus, has Dobb's attitude changed yet?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Marnicq Bervoets did really well at a des nations a few years ago i think-he was behind RC??

McFarlane is a Aussie and Gundersons been on the fringe for a few years.

Im not sure MP needs a 4 stoke-he certainly didnt at the start of the season-i feel it was Everts riding both classes that made all the difference-he is riding  looser and knows the tracks better.Smets has commented many times his 4 stoke isnt as powerfull as the YZ/CR and he is doing well still.

Dobb has recently moved house to near the Donnington track which my club raced at this weekend-i expect he will practice there alot, Dobb is very shy and comes accross badly sometimes.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
Who's Marnicq Bervoets (Yamaha)?
How 'bout McFarlane and Gunderson?.......

As Marcus said, Andrew "Sharky" MacFarlane is an Aussie.

Career Profile & Highlights :
2002 - 8th World Championships
- Chosen to represent Australia in the Motocross Des Nations (unfortunately cancelled)

2001 - 8th World Championships
- Represented Australia in the Motocross Des Nations

2000 - Australian 250cc Motocross Champion
- Australian 250cc Supercross Masters Champion
- 4th Overall 250cc World Championship : round 1
- Winner Manjimup 15000 250cc

1999 - Australian 250cc Motocross Champion
- 3rd Australian 250cc Supercross Championship
- 3rd Australian 250cc Supercross Masters

1998 - 4th Australian 250cc Motocross Championship

1997 - 3rd Australian 250cc Motocross Championship

1996 - 4th Australian 250cc Supercross Championship

1995 - Australian 250cc Supercross Champion
- Australian 125cc Motocross Champion
- 2nd Australian 125cc Motocross Champion

1994 - 2nd Australian 125cc Supercross Champion

Refer to his web site for further info http://www.sharkymx.com/

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Grinch you forgot how sharky surprised everyone at the Aussie GP, him and Byrne, both on 500 two strokes while pretty much evreyone else was on big bore four strokes, thats when people took notice of both of them. To come close to beating the likes of season vets of the GP's like Smets and the King brothers was a huge thing, though i think he did beat some of them.

Top Bottom