Bent Radiator

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Last year when I purchased my bike, the right radiator was dinged in a little. Not too bad, and nothing leaked, just caused the white radiator fins in the front to SLIGHTLY rub on the fender when turning. Well yesterday a stroke of bad luck caused me to bend it in even more.

I was coming into town, down a steep hill at a red light. As I turned on the flatroad, somehow the bike slid out and fell over in the back of my truck! The right radiator shroud hit my bed rail and needless to say I was fearing the worst when I went back to look at it. Luckily no scratches or anything on the truck. The bike had one problem. The radiator had bent in a little further.

I was immediately concerned with leaks but fortunately there were none. I took the bike home and got a full inspection. That was the only part that actually took impact. It was bent pretty bad to where when the radiator fins were in, the fender rubbed hard. So I decided that, it would need replaced if I didn't bend it out anyway, and if it did break when I was bending it I was going to need to replace it anyway. I had a friend hold it tightly into the frame, and with a small crowbar I was able to bend it out almost all the way. It looks better than it did before this most recent escapade.

I took about a nice 2 hour ride on my friend's practice track riding hard. I noticed no leaks or anything so I was very happy. I just wanted to ask...as long as no coolant leaks or anything I should be fine right?

Thanks in advance.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by jaypro55
I just wanted to ask...as long as no coolant leaks or anything I should be fine right?
[/B]

Right. :thumb:

Check the fins also. If you hold the radiator up to a light, you should be able to see light through all of the fins. If any of the fins are bent over, take a pair of fine pointed needle nose pliers and one by one, straighten each fin.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Make sure you check to see that the fins are not bent up. This is very important since your rads/ engine need to keep cool. Like 89r mentioned you can use needle nose pliers to straighten them out. If they're really tweaked + lots of them bent then you can even send the radiator to a shop and have it repaired.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah there are some fins that are tweaked pretty decently. My friend and were thinking of taking a flathead screwdriver to straighten them out. Didn't know if those would be better than needle-noses or not. I was intrigued to find out yesterday that I didn't have a boil-over and have anything come out the overflow tube. And I rode at race speed (for me that is LOL) in pretty hot conditions, so it seems like everything should be fine. I may go home and clean her up and mess with it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…