a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Bent where? Flattened spot, bend from a rock?

CaptHookLV

Dec 22, 2004
slightl bent

The bend is on one side only, it pushed out or opened up the rim just a bit. I was thinking of a piece of wood and mallet and try and bang it back a bit. Not sure.....

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You can have them fixed by a shop but it'll cost some money. If it isn't that bad, using a block and mallet might work but be careful not to bend the other side! Good luck

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If it's not too bad I'd just leave it alone. Obviously if the tire pops off you need to fix it. I've used a block and mallet before with some success.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I've straightened 4 rims now with the exct same problem you have. I never had success pounding them back with a mallet, wood block, etc. This is what I do: I have a large bench vise mounted to a heavy bench that does not move. I loosen the spokes in the affected area (4-6 of them). You'll notice that some are loose and some tight. I heat the rim with propane to the affected area only and not too hot. I place the rim's damaged edge in the vise just to the side of the center of the damage. I tighten the vise very tight and then pull from the top of the rim towards me. Then I move the rim a little in the vise at a time and continue to pull from the top (about a half inch or so on each side of the apex of the damge. This method is fairly easy and there's not much chance of cracking the alloy. Once done I lightly file/sandpaper the are to smooth and sharp edges. Usually you can't tell there was a ding.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom