JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
I recently replaced my reaer brake pads. After I put my wheel back on, I had a spot where the rotor (or so I thought) was sticking - ie, it would stop the wheel. After a few laps, the pads wore down some and everything was fine. Actually, the bike ran before the pads wore down, it just made this hideous noise at first. So, I assumed the rotor was bent.

Then I went out to the track and had my bike on the stand, I was turing the wheel, showing my buddy my "bent rotor" and he noticed the wheel had sort of a wobble to it. I then assumed it was a bent wheel. The alignment was dead on - so that could not have been a problem.

I was talking to another person about my "bent wheel" who said it could be the spokes do not have even tension and/or need to be tightened. I haven't looked at the spokes yet, but might this be a possibility as well?

The bike rides fine and there is no noticable performance or "safety hit" with the bike as it is now, but of course, it is always nice to have a stright wheel. So, my question is, anyone had this problem before? Or know if it could be the spokes? My spokes do seem to get loose frequnetly on the rear. And if it is the spokes, how exactly do you "even" them out? I know there is a torque rating for the spokes, but do they all have to be set at this in order for the wheel to be true?

Another question I have with the spokes, is that sometimes several of the spokes seem loose, but when I attempt to tighten them, the do not turn, or the entire spoke and nut turn - and it feels like the spoke is going to break (for lack of a better word).

Any ideas, insights, suggstions?

Thanks!

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Are you sure the wheel bearings aren't shot? If the wheel appears to wobble, maybe your bearings went south and that's what is causing the off balance appearance.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
your nipples are frozen :eek:....to fix it correctly you need to take the tire off and use a torch to heat the nipples and hopefully they'll break loose from the spoke. Otherwise you gotta cut and replace them. Once they are apart put neverseize on the threads and you'll never have that problem again. Everyone should do this when they get a new bike :thumb:

The reason your rims goes wobbly wobbly wobbly is most likely because of those loose spokes pulling it out of alignment. After fixing the spokes you'll need to have the thing trued...it's an art and it takes some skill to be able to do it correctly.

Top Bottom