Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I've been researching chest protectors for awhile, but I can't decide what to buy. I am currently recovering from my second shoulder injury. This time I broke my scapula and slightly seperated my AC. I am looking for the best shoulder and upper back protection that I can get from a chest protector. I'm only 5'8" and 155 pounds, so I don't need one for a big guy. I've been looking at the Moose M1, HRP Flak Jak 4, and EVS. I don't think the EVS has much upper back protection but it is hard to tell from the pictures. The protector must have suspended shoulders. Any suggestions?

By the way I currently have a Fox chest protector, but I don't remember what the name of it is. I cracked the shoulder guard and ripped off one of the bicep guards in my last crash. I think I am ready to try something different even though it wasn't a bad chest protector.

Thanks

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
My vote is for an ONeal Matrix or Thor SomethingOrOther. They look to be the same design. I went to this after trashing my HRP on a Red Bud jump and partially dislocating a shoulder (takes a long time to heal). However, I'm also looking into "soft" chest protectors that hug the body, as according to a racing buddy who doubles as a football coach at the college level, the hard plastic protectors we use actually cause injuries when all that plastic comes crashing hard into shoulders and ribs. I just haven't found anything I like yet, although the Azonic and 661 brands look like they might combine the right combo of comfort, price and protection. Anybody tried them?

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I just got a Fox Airframe and I love it. I am a big guy and after many attempts with other CP(thor,661,etc.) i finally found one I like. its very roomy and adjustable but not bulky and in the way. :thumb:

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Mark - I have the Azonic Z-5 body armor jacket if that's what you're talking about. It's been great - I originally got it for DH mountain biking (most of the racers I know use one of those types of jackets - the Dainese, Azonic, 661, etc.) They work great - I haven't heard any complaints about any of them. I endoed/cartwheeled at pretty good speed down a steep rocky section last Sunday during a practice run (DH racing) and wound up upside down on my shoulder on a tree stump in a bush with my bike on top of me. Walked away with nothing but a scratch and a little bruise on my thigh. Never had a problem with it causing bruises or other injuries (other than a scratch on my arm when I first started wearing it and was keeping the straps too loose and it was shifting around.) Anyway, I'm really happy with it - I know it can't protect you from everything, but it sure helps.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Altagirl: Yes, the Azonic CP shirt thing is what I've been considering. Seems like a lot of gear and I've been wondering what it would be like to wear on a really hot day. Then again, my shoulder was messed up for most of a year and is still weaker than it used to be, so maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get it. Wearing a ONeal Matrix now, which seems to be the same as the Thor from what I can see. Your MB racing sounds more dangerous than the mx stuff.

By the way, same coaching friend who told me to consider softer CP also has convinced me to wear one of those neck protector gizmos. They've become popular with the Old Timers crowd he races with, becuz of at least one fatality this past year that they felt was caused by the helmet. Since he coaches football, he told me that m/c helmets are shaped wrong and have a hard lower edge that football helmets no longer have. This turns them into clavicle busters and potential vertabre breakers. The foam neck pads are supposed to prevent it. So I'm trying the EVS version and after the first couple of minutes, you never know it's there.

Mark

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Testicleez--the bigger question: how did your ballz fare with the Thor? ;)

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I haven't considered anything other than the hard plastic type over the shirt protector until now. It seems as though the shirt type may not have suspended shoulders and, therefore, not have as good of impact protection in the shoulder area. What do I know? I guess I'll look into them.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Here's my vote for the No Fear Stratos! It's basically a HRP clone, which is what a lot of other manufactores have done. But the HRP is pretty heavy, but has a good over all design and is smooth. Chest protectors (over-jersey type) like Fox, Thor, and AXO all seem like heavier, more plastic pieces, and rough made chest protectors that would hurt more. I used to own an AXO one before and love my No Fear one. It looks cool, and conforms to my body well, and does not hurt the ribs when they're crashed against the plastic.

LuserKid

Sponsoring Member
Dec 27, 2002
Well I have to say the thor Force protector is a good chest protector. I tryed on a few different models before I desided on that one. Mainly I ended up getting that one because it conformed to me pretty well and personally all the models I tryed on with arm guards felt very restrictive. I know this is just my opinion but the thor force is a good chest protector.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Thanks for all of the advice. Based on what I/ve read here and after the opportunity to try some of them on, I ordered the Fox Airframe. It seemed to be a very well designed protector and fit me better than the others.

Neal

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I would recommend a pair of hockey shoulder pads. They offer great shoulder protction, light weight, and are made for under a jearsy. I personally have the EVS light weight under the jearsy version.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
actually chest protectors are made to protect you from roost, branches, etc... not hard falls. in fact if you read the warnings lables on chest protectors the even expalin that. i was involved in a crash once were i had bruised some ribs, im not sure if the chest protectors hurt me or not, its hard to say. i was riding a few weeks ago and i didnt have my chest protector on and i smacked my shoulder off a small tree at the top of a hill climb, i wish i ha been wearing it then, probably would have helped me out there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom