Best mods for harescramble

koyote

Oct 16, 2004
Just checking to see how many guys run kdx's in harescramble or enduro's and what are the best or most needed mods to set up the bike. I'm an intermediate rider and have never entered any type of event. Thanks in advance!

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
you'll probebly needs tags to run enduro's depending where you live. The rest of the mods can be found doing a search or looking around this site. I've seen stock bikes at these kinds of events all the way up to Fredette race prepped woods weapons......speed costs money, how fast you wanta go ????

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Suspension is very important. Stock front is a bit soft if you start pushing it hard. Think about a pipe and possibly replacing the factory reeds. Drill some holes in your airbox lid and remove the snorkel to open up the breathing a little. Also, make sure the bike is jetted properly. Mods won't do all that much if your jetting isn't on. Good luck!

L

LukeRips

The very best addition I've made is an auto-clutch. They make you fast enough to move up a class no matter how fast you are now, I got mine from EFM-billet.com

Oh yeah, better get some handguards and a skid plate too.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
1. Workout for endurance and strength
2. Practice ride the type of terrain you will race as much as possible.

Anything you do to the bike will be gravy.

koyote

Oct 16, 2004
Good stuff guys! I think I should worry less about the bike and start thinking about getting myself ready to race. If I make it through the entire race my first time I will be more than happy. Any first race stories?

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
First race stories...I had mine about a month ago. Had a great time, in all reality the limitations were definately not the bike. I will be adjusting that thing between the throttle and seat over the winter to prepare for next year. I can say this, my engine is already moded by Fredette, Wiesco piston, porting, re-coating, etc. etc. My limitation "other than my out of shape a$$" is the suspension. The forks were way undersprung for me "185lbs" and I bottomed out quited often. The course was very rough with a lot of stutter bumps in the bottoms section so I was all over the place. That being said, my goals over the winter for the bike will be a taller stiffer seat foam, re-spring and maybe revalve the forks, Michellin S12 rear M12 front, new chain and sprockets "needed" and maybe a steering damper. Just my story...Dave

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
just two weekends ago i had my first harescramble on my kdx. i had raced fourwheelers before but not a bike. ive been in college and i only had 2 weeks notice of my race and no time to prepare because of exams coming up and lack of a bike. ended up only getting about an hour in on the bke after 2 months off of it before the race. i started with the 250's and 3 ktm 200's. I was the only person on a kaw out there. came into the first corner 2nd, came out 5th, went into the second 8th, came out second to last and went down 15 feet later in a rutted muddy section. went down quite a few times the first 2 laps and just kept getting up and going again. on the third lap the end of my clutch cable popped off and i stopped in the pits thinking about quitting but ended up going back out and turning some pretty quick times with no clutch with the exception of one 25 minute lap because i got stopped in the middle of a hill by a downed rider and had to go to the bottom of a hollow where i had almost no run to go up the hill. pros were turning out 10 minutes laps, i was turning out 13 to 20 minute laps depending on traffic. on the fifth lap i laid it down and my footpeg folded up and wouldnt come down so i rode half a lap including the motocross tack standing on my shifter or on one leg. i only finished 7 laps where as the pros did 10. but i finished all torn up and worn out because i wasnt in parctice with mud riding. ended up getting 29 out of 38

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I've run quite a few hare scrambles on a KDX over about the last 15 years. I have generally run the little B classes but have run some of the Kansas series stuff in the 35+ class now that I'm getting old and slow. Over all the years I've raced I would say that I have been the limiting factor more than the bike. If I can keep a steady pace and not get stuck in a creek or crash hard I usually do pretty well. If I get stuck or crash it sometimes takes more energy to get going again than it takes to run a complete lap without problems. Steady and trouble-free works better for me as opposed to "checkers or wreckers".

As for the bike, start out with the basic guards and protection of course. I had Fredette do the suspension and port the motor. A pipe, silencer, good bars, pegs, open air box, good chain and sprockets, fresh tires suited for the terrain, correct jetting, etc. all help out but won't make up for being out of shape and out of practice.

In my opinion the KDX may not be the best hare scrambles bike in the world but I feel that it's served me well at an economical cost for many years. Last winter I built a hybrid using my DX motor in a KX125 chassis and it's a sweet bike but there are some races where I miss the plushness of the old DX. Most importantly - go have fun!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I ran my KDX220 in my local race series... I ended up 6th in the beginner class. out of about 80 riders
1. At least put Xr springs in the forks if not have the front end set up correctly
2. stock tires suck and do not clean out mud very well. Locally many guys here run an s-12 rear, but there is also a kenda southwick, and kenda millvile which are cheap tires and decent.
3. Real Handguards
4. Propper jetting

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…