dirtdealer726

Mar 2, 2006
73/74 Honda CR 250 Elsinore - tons of parts and aftermarket items available

81 Maico 250/490 - Eric Cook at Maico Only has just about anything that you can imagine made for these things

80/81 Yamaha YZ 250 - These bikes were basically bullet proof. They are great runners in the AHRMA GP class. Parts are readily available on **** as well as NOS pieces.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
The best vintage bike (pre 1975) in my opinion is a CZ. I have had one for about three years it runs great handles ok and is tough as an anvil. Parts havent been a problem if something does break the people at North west maico & CZ are real helpful.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
How about a yamaha MX 250 or 360. Not as cool and exotic as a maico but more affordable and easy to find. I just bought a real nice 72 MX 360 for under a grand. The motor performs great it has a almost scary power hit. The handling is kinda like a hog on ice but can probably be fixed.

docgonzo

Feb 27, 2006
The Yamaha MX250 is great bike. I picked up two non-running bikes cheap in the last 6 months. I have seen a few running 250s, and some 360's as well, for sale in that time. I was at a vintage race last July and there were a lot of MX 250s and 360s.

Parts are readily available and usually reasonable. A lot of DT series parts are said to interchange. The bike that is now a runner needed a set of clutch plates and I was able to use some out of an RT1 that I had sitting around.

My bike handled pretty scary when I first started riding it. New tires and swingarm bushings helped a lot(xs650 and RD350 bronze bushings work and are easy to get).

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I agree with the CZ's, I own 2 and they are anvil, bullit proof... not my favorite but impossible to kill! Power is ok, handling is ok and bikes/parts are less $$. My favorites are my Maico's for handling and my Husky's for power. My Yamaha has great suspension, good motor and medocre handling.

The Maico's handle much better but has a lousy clutch and have gotten very expensive($4-7k for the one in the picture?), Husky is not the best handling but if setup right don't break and power is good(my '74 250 has better power than my '78 250 maico) but like the Maico older bikes are big $$. Did you see the '61 Husky on evilbay for $29K :nod: :yikes: . One other is the Yamaha YZ, very competitive if set up right and $1500-$3000 for a good one.

Roger 17T

dwarf66

Mar 17, 2005
Vintage Bike

Any 75 - 80 Rm 250. You can get parts from the dealer or many web sources. There are plenty of used bikes. Almost all the parts interchange. They are beautiful, fast, reliable , and easy to work on.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
The best seasons of my racing life as a kid & young man were on the 1978-1981 era open class KTM's. They were better built, handled really well (setup right), and had the right kind of throttle response. I could go an entire season without replacing anything but chains, tires, and brakes. (Ok the Ohlins needed rebuilt once in a while)
Best series of motorcycles I ever owned. My current trail bike is:
http://www.thequadbuilder.com/forums/uploads/1167337364/gallery_151_56_113063.jpg

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I just bought my old 1980 YZ250 back (paying $400.00). It is suppose to be in good shape still; I'll see when I pick it up. I had an IT wide ratio trans. (6 speed?; I can't remember) and exhaust on it for hare scramble and cross country racing. I remember it being fun; I'll let you know what I think now!