BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
I am thinking of upgrading my 2003 CR250 and was wondering what the best performance for the money is. I feel i am finally at the point where I am riding the bike and the bike isn't riding me :)

The bike is completely stock except for a spark arrestor.

On my 2000 CR250 I put a SST pipe on it and was pleased with the performance gain but don't just want to go out and spend $250 bucks if I can do better.

Possiblities I was thinking was reed cage, SST pipe, not sure what else?

-brent

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
My vote is no on the reed cage unless you want to become an expert at jetting a bike. Big yes on the SST pipe. I was really amazed at the difference I could feel - and I changed at the track for accurate back to back sessions. I should note my stocker had a dent in it.

Best performance 'mod' for that bike is to make sure your powervalve cable is not too loose.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I think if you liked the SST on the '00, I think you will like it on the '03. I have personally tried the V-Forde and Boyeson Rad Valve back to back and prefer the Rad Valve. No major jetting changes had to be made in my case. If you are having any jet problems, go to the Keihin PWK. I have one on my '03 and think it is much better than the Mikuni as far as jetting issues. Tried the VHM head, did not like it. I have tried the iCat, no big improvement, but no loss either. To be honest, I wish I had all the money back that I spent on this stuff and just got the bike ported initially. My bike runs better than a stock bike, but it is by no means an a** kicker.

Feb 20, 2004
well do this.. i just wanna say this is what im gonna to for my YZ 250 when i get it

FmF torque reeds 27.99
Moose torque spacer 28.00
FMF powercore shorty 95.00 +
fmf garly pipe 180.00
as u can proly see i like low to midrange. but thats just me these are pritty cheap mods. these are just for me. but id try reeds then mabye port and polish

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
I already jetted the bike, i don't have problems jetting. I like top end and a hard hitting bike which the 03 lacks compared to my 00 with the SST. But someone else told me the reed cage was a big improvment. What about porting, better than bolt on mods or should be done after bolt on mods?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
have you considered running oxygenated race fuel? keep in mind you may need to richen jetting appropriately. If you burn a lot of fuel, this could get expensive, but it's easy enough to switch the jetting back.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
My dad uses VP red in his 650 but i have no plans to run anything other than premium. Too much of a hassle for me. Would porting require this?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, i think the best mod i did on my bike was having the suspension set up.. Had it re-sprung & re-valved, i think that helped me and my bike out the most..
Rick

jib

Jan 23, 2000
The best bang for the buck is a simple rear sprocket change,48 to a 50. That's the best thing I did for my 03'cr 250. That's including having E-Gorr do my cylinder,head for mo-better porting.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
if you change to a 50 then that would gear it lower, i ride both track and trail/desert and in the desert i am 5th gear way too much as it is. I used to run a 14t up front but don't really anymore so i think the 50 wouldn't be a way to go. I haven't really touched the suspension too much but i like it so far. I don't have a problem keeping up or passing when i need to. I have it alittle stiff so i just kinda bear it at slower speeds.

I am just looking for something to give it somemore snap, i am on the pipe most of the time and just something to give it more power or get on the pipe faster.

Top Bottom