Best tool(s) to remove/install piston snap ring

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
About to do top-end on KDX200 and trying to make sure I have all necessary tools. Have not pulled old piston off yet, but from pictures of snap ring, I'm confused about what tool will work best. It looks like the snap ring has plain, angled edges with no easy way to compress the ring to get it out.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
Pair of needle nose pliers. It'll come out fairly easy. Don't be afraid to mangle it a bit, you never re-use circlips.

Make sure to tuck a rag in under the piston so that when you drop the circlip it doesn't end up in the crankcase!

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
Thanks. It just looked like the clip seats down into the groove and you have to work the plier underneath to pry it up a bit so you can grab it ?

Any tips for installing the new clip ? Do you compress them a little before working them into the groove, maybe with a small blade srewdriver ?

Yeah, definitely will have crankcase stuffed and wear eye protection.

Woulda been alot better if the clips were the design with the 2 holes that you can use an insides circlips plier with. Guess theres a good reason why not ...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I twist the clip just enough to get one end in the groove, then I use a small flat screw driver and my fingers to work the rest in. Put a clean rag over the bore and work in a clean area just incase the clip does not cooperate and flys across the room.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
I did my first top end last year on my KDX. It was fairly easy, BUT be very very careful installing your new circlips. I made a huge mistake, but I didn't know it until after it was back together and I took it for a test ride. 3/4 mile into it, it made a funny noise and died(lost compression). Pushed it home, opened it up......a circlip popped out and I scrapped my new Wiseco piston and my cylinder :bang: It was the same side that gave me problems going in, I think I "over worked" it putting it in, like maybe from squeezing it too much it to get it in. When I thought back, that side did not "snap" in, so it was just too loose in the groove. I don't mean to scare you, but I wish someone had warned me.

So, after beating myself up for 2 weeks and getting a new piston and a descent used cylinder from Fredette, I tried it again.
But, the second time I put it back together, I installed the right hand side circlip on the bench, so I only had to put the left side in on the bike. Left side seems to have more room for maneuvering. That is why I chose to install the right hand side off the bike.
Also, I ordered a extra set of circlips, just incase, I lost one or felt I over worked one again, I had some on hand.
Hard to believe a .50 part can cause sooooooooo much damage! :bang:

Good Luck, hope I didn't scare you too much.

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
Thanks guys, that helps alot. Some of the other posts I read after doing a search on "circlips" indicated this was something that could go wrong in a big way, especially doing it the first time. Having extra clips on hand looks like a good idea.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Just make sure that they are all the way in the grooves. Don't want the wrist pin to fall out :ohmy:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: all the way in

Wiseco had a problem with wristpin length awhile back...too long. The second clip did not snap into place..not enough room.

It DID come out later easy enough!

So a number of riders found out. That may have been Cap'nBly's problem.

I generally use a mechanic's scribe for removal...thumb and fingers for install. But...I use Pro-X stuff. Supposedly Wiseco clips are a good bit stiffer.

Clip gaps at 6 or 12:00 o'clock..right?

Good luck!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Another invaluable tool is a countersink. The last couple of Weiscos I bought had square edged holes for the wristpin making it practically impossible to get the circlip to start into the hole. Countersink [chamfer] the hole a similar amount to what the OEM piston has and installation will go way easier

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom