What's the trick - cylinder install

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
:think: I have a dump question. I'm doing a top end, and I've installed the piston, and now I'm tryinng to slide the cylinder over it. What's the trick to compressing the rings enough to slide it? I have 2 stroke oil on the piston and inside the cylinder, I've double checked to make sure it's the right piston (Pro-X Lite 65.95mm). I just can't get the rings squeezed tight enough. :bang:

Help! I want to fire this thing up today. Just got the carb and head back from RB, and dying to feel the difference.

kid1293

Feb 12, 2007
squeeze the top ring and slowly wiggle and slide the cly. down. be sure the ring is seated properly in the piston pin and do the same for the bottom ring. let us know.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah, what Kid1293 said. You have to do 1 ring at a time. (a lot easier with 2 people) Have one person squeeze the ring, and have someone else slide the cylinder over it. Make sure the rings are seated rite.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Thanks, guys. I finally got it on!! I just didn't want to force it. Unhooking the clutch cable and moving it out of the way gave me just the wiggle room necessary. Now, finish cleaning the filter, get some gas and mix it, then fire it up!!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Just FYI, I normally put one wrist pin clip in the piston, put the rings on and slide it partway into the cylinder. Then I take the cylinder/piston assembly and place it over the end of the rod, insert the wrist pin and remaining clip and then just push the cylinder into place. If you do this, don't forget to put the base gasket on first as I do about half the time. DOH!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom