Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
I'm building a shop in a few months and was wondering what other people have used to light their shops?

I'm leaning towards florescent lights tracked along the roof.

I have four windows and one large window across the roll up door.

The shop is 28ft wide, 32 feet long, 12 foot walls. The interior will be sheeted in plywood. (might paint it all white)

Thanks for any suggestions.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
With 12 foot walls florescent is the best (and cheapest) way to go. If you are looking for a lot of light, well diffused 175-250 watt metal halides are great. Very white and mucho lumens. long warmup though. in my "shop" if you can call it that, i have long tube florescents, in my shed i have 2 400 watt metal halides; its like walking into the sun, wayy over kill. :whoa: but i had em laying around so why not

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No light like real light, sky lights! If you go to fluorescent, check out the daylight bulbs. I much prefer the white spectrum lights as opposed to the yellow. The metal halide pot lights are pricey, great light, put off a lot of heat and are generally used outside or in gymnasiums. But could set up one heck of a side-business! If you go with the fluorescents, the expensive ones may have cold weather ballasts. Heated shop should be okay with the regular ones.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
No light like real light, sky lights!
Until the sun goes down. :)

I would probably light the perimeter, with a strip down the center, to cut down on shadows getting in your way.

BTW, Have you considered peg boarding from 4-8ft off the floor? This might be very helpful behind the workbench, and isn't too expensive.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Indy said:
. . . wondering what other people have used to light their shops?
I always use a zippo. Trouble is, no matter how much I puff I have a helluva time keeping a shop lit.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRpredator said:
I always use a zippo. .

A ZIPPO!!!! :coocoo: Gawd, you'r old. :yikes:

Do they still make those? :whoa:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Some c5 ought to do the trick.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
12' walls? Place a couple levels of some good wire rack shevling up there with a row of cabinents below. I got some cheap white ones from Home Depot and it's great for keping oil, spray cans, etc... out of the way and collecting dust and spiderwebs.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
4 foot 2 tube flourescents with electronic ballasts and F32T8/TL735 lamps.

Run them side to side in continous rows (end to end) 6 foot on center starting from back wall if budget allows. 3 rows would probably be sufficient. Shadows will be minimal .

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
FruDaddy said:
BTW, Have you considered peg boarding from 4-8ft off the floor? This might be very helpful behind the workbench, and isn't too expensive.

Another vote for peg board. I have it all the way around my 30x40 garage. The guy before me set it up for working on his cars. I am very thankful he did the peg board.

Ivan

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
There are fluorescent bulbs that are narrow, put out good light and use less energy. I dont remember what they are called tho...

sean

Apr 26, 2000
2strok4fun said:
There are fluorescent bulbs that are narrow, put out good light and use less energy. I dont remember what they are called tho...

T5's. Get those and some rapid start ballasts. I work for a electrical distribution company and we just got all new fixtures that accept T5 lamps, very nice.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
The best thing I did in my shop was to paint everything White. The walls, the ceiling the door the peg board and selves. My shop is small but the white paint on everthing really makes a difference.

Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
Good call on the T5 lights, I googled it and got alot of information. I see that there are two different kinds of T5 - T5 and T5HO. The standard T5 are more efficient but the T5HO single light lights up enough area to replace two T8 bulbs. I agree with the white paint idea.

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Indy said:
Good call on the T5 lights, I googled it and got alot of information. I see that there are two different kinds of T5 - T5 and T5HO. The standard T5 are more efficient but the T5HO single light lights up enough area to replace two T8 bulbs. I agree with the white paint idea.

The "HO" bulbs typically have a shorter lifespan than the conventional bulbs. They don't "burn out" but the light output drops off on them.

The regular T5's put out about the same lumens as the larger 72-80W fixtures and only draw ~55W in the process.

I put them in my store for the energy savings alone. Twelve two-bulb fixtures, running 12-14 hours a day, adds up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom