RSTed1000

Dec 9, 2005
Well, as I'm sure most threads here start out, what bike would you recommend? I'm going opposite from most people and looking to get into dirt riding AFTER riding on the street for the last 10 years.

My experience is that I started out on an old FZR600 about 10 years ago, bought a TL1000S back in '01 which is currently my track-only bike. I've done probably 25-30 track days in the last 3 years. I ride an Aprilia Futura all over the country (27k miles in the last two years), and recently bought a BMW R1200GS to add to the garage. Since I've had the GS I've discovered how much I'm enjoying the offroad capability of the bike and figured I would look for something a bit more capable (as in lighter) for serious off-road and dirt riding.

I'm not looking to do any dirt track days (yet) and if I were to get into that then I'd probably buy a bike more suited for it. The type of riding I would be doing is mostly trails, and maybe some light air every once in a while. I am a big guy as I tip the scales at 280lbs. I'm 6'2" and have no problems pushing around (or picking up) my pig of a bike, the 1200GS. I have a 33" inseam so I've never had any problems reaching the ground on a bike. My experience in dirt thus far is almost non-existent, but I do know some of the basics. I ride pretty responsible, and ALWAYS wear my gear.

Most of the guys I know who do alot of adventure touring offroad love the 650's. The KLR, XR's, and DRZ's all make good touring bikes, but I don't know if they're the best choice to start out on, or just to run around the trails on. Price isn't as much a factor as is picking a bike most suited for what I want.

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
I ride an XR650R and found that it gets me most places that I need to go. I am riding with mates on the bigger KTMs, WRFs and a DRZ.. The XR650R has torque from low revs, very good stability at speed, reasonable suspension I'm about 95kg (210lbs) and it is happy to be ridden slow or fast and maintaining it is a breeze. An older mate rides a DRZ 400 and this has proven to be a capable bike as well. For really serious woods riding you may want something lighter (than an XR650R) with electric start like the WRF or the KTM as they do have the edge in tight woods.Trust this helps.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Since you seem to be looking for a good bike, rather than a starter/junker, I think that a KTM 300 EXC would fit the bill quite nicely for you. It's a two-stroke, so don't worry abou the 300cc's not being enough. Some street guys get too hung up on the whole cc thing. Yea, I ride a 125cc bike, but it would put a 1200cc harley to shame in a light to light drag race. You're not a light guy, so you're going to need a good bit of torque to help you out. It's got enough smooth power to get you around just fine, reliability is second to none, and will be like riding a feather after lugging that GS through the woods.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
280? pfft who let the lightweight into the room? :)

Are you looking for strictly trail bike? or something that would be road legal and decent on the trails?

RSTed1000

Dec 9, 2005
Papakeith said:
280? pfft who let the lightweight into the room? :)

Are you looking for strictly trail bike? or something that would be road legal and decent on the trails?

The big guy at the door said that I BARELY made the size requirement to play here, so you can blame him! I heard something about wishfull thinking under his breath as I passed though.

If I'm going to be hitting the backroads to do some fireroads or light two track, then I figure the GS with TKC 80's can handle that fine. I'm looking for a good trail bike that I'll be using alot on wooded trails, single track, and once I get enough experience (balls) I'll bring it with me a couple of times a year to run the trails around Canon City, Colorado. *hhmmm....do they make a rack to carry a dirt bike on the back of the Beemer?* I'd rather something with, or that has the capability to put, lights and a decent gas tank for the high desert but it doesn't have to be road legal. Durability is a big factor though so having the fastest and most performance oriented machine out there isn't a big deal either.

sakamo

Dec 9, 2005
rm125

suzuki's rm125 is a good match of off-road with jumping sometimes...when the wife isn't looking. i got one three years ago, and am selling it. it's in great shape, as i'm an adult rider and not as stupid as i used to be. it's a 2003. if you don't buy mine, the rm 125 has a shorter seat height without sacrificing the suspsnsion, super, super-light bike! , and easy enought for an amateur like me to work on.

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
sakamo said:
suzuki's rm125 is a good match of off-road with jumping sometimes...when the wife isn't looking. i got one three years ago, and am selling it. it's in great shape, as i'm an adult rider and not as stupid as i used to be. it's a 2003. if you don't buy mine, the rm 125 has a shorter seat height without sacrificing the suspsnsion, super, super-light bike! , and easy enought for an amateur like me to work on.

Funny stuff, I'm sure a 125 will have no problem carrying his 280 lb carcus up a hill :laugh: . I think you have been pointed in the right direction. CRF450X, WR450, 450/525 XC/EXC will work or if your in the mood for something with less weight and more of a thrill pick yourself up a KTM 300 xc/xcw. Stay away from any of the enduro bikes as you already have bikes to fit that bill and they are flat out pigs in the woods. My favorite out of this group is the 300xc but the xcw would probably be a better choice for you due to the wider ratio gear box for the open terrain.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
My opinion,check into the KDX's.Two stroke,easy maint.will run pretty good when wound up.

Crazy

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Go check out a KTM450exc, will have plenty of power for your needs.. A KTM 300 also would be a nice choice..

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would like to add another comment. Ignore any suggestion for a two-stroke less than 250cc or four-stroke less than 450cc. The people recommending these bikes must have forgot your weight. I weigh 150lbs so a 125-200cc two-stroke (250cc four-stroke) can haul me around just fine, but I think you would be VERY disappointed in the power of the smaller class bikes. You need a big bike.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
sakamo said:

That could possibly be the worst bike recommendation I have ever seen on this site. :ohmy:

I would be looking at a KTM525 for a guy your size and stated uses.

rlp1

Jan 18, 2004
CRF 450X, KTM 525 EXC, or a 300 KTM 2 stroke always sound like a good idea if you want a trail bike. Have you considered making a MX bike into a trail bike? Like a YZ426 or 450 with a baja kit, desert tank, and WR gearing? Probably too much work, just go with the 450X, or 525 or 300

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Chili said:
That could possibly be the worst bike recommendation I have ever seen on this site. :ohmy:

I would be looking at a KTM525 for a guy your size and stated uses.

I 2nd that. If you're selling a 3 year old RM125 to a guy weighing 280lbs and you're not a used car salesman you've missed your calling. :laugh:

RSTed1000

Dec 9, 2005
Cool, thanks for all the recomendations guys. I probably will got with the KTM two stroke as I have a good friend and fellow rider who swears by this bike. He's an accomplished rider in the dirt and decorated in competition so I value his opinion with what would be a decent bike for me. I'll be sure to post up pictures once it's sitting in the garage!!!

Top Bottom