Jun 7, 2008
As the biggest noob ever i do not know squat about riding bikes. I need some help!!! I want to get into the sport of MX but also would like to cruise in the streets of California as well. I am told that i would need to purchase a "dual sport" bike? While i was searching, i came across an ad of someone selling a registered and plated dirt bike. Does this mean that i am able to ride this bike legally in the street after purchasing and registering it? Help!!! I need to know every about starting out.

-Brian

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
well, first off, we need to know you size and all that, so check out the thread that gives you a survey on this forum. but since you have never ridden, i would suggest looking into the crf230L which comes street legal and is a good starter bike. i wouldnt take it to an mx track, but i would just ride it around and get used to riding and then purchase a good mx bike. i dont think you will be able to find one for both unless you keep the 230L and get an mx bike.

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks a bunch. Is the 230 ideal for someone 5'7" round 140 lbs? How much do one of those retail for? How much used? What about a DRZ400SM? Whats your take on that bike?

-Brian

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
a 230 is somewhere around $2400, but depriciates about 1500 mint. to your a great size for it. a drz is a great bike, but im not sure you could handle it, thats alot of bike for someone who is new to riding, even to me thats alot of bike.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Where in California do you live?

If you live in a desert town, such as Barstow, California City, Etc. then I could see a dual sport bike.

If what you are really interested in is MX and expect to go to the track and start hitting the jump, a dual sport bike just isn't going to cut it.

First off, to be legal on the street you need to have D.O.T. approved tires, which will just suck off road and you absolutely will NOT survive a MX track with them. If you try to ride your off road knobbies on the asphalt you will be buring through $80 tires every week.

To be legal on the road you will also need mirrors and turn signals. These will also not survive the spills you are 99.99% likely to have riding off road.

If you are just interested in riding some trails and not get too wild you can get by with the D.O.T. tires and a nice dual sport bike. Definately buy one already plated as it can be a very difficult process to deal with the DMV.

Like others have said, fill out the "sticky" found at the top of the "which bike do I get?" forum and we can help steer you towards the right bike.

Rod

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom