FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
I have done an abundance of work to my bike in the last week, and i just got home from riding and my bike has dramatically lost top end speed and power, but never had any problems like this last weekend.

A list of work i did to my bike this week:

- Pulled off my head and cylinder and cleaned both
- Flushed and changed coolant
- Flushed and changed gear oil
- Flushed and changed gas
- Repacked my silencer

At first i thought it was because i repacked my silencer, but would that actually affect my powercurve that dramatically? Then after riding for a while and realizing it has no power and wont pull that long in each gear , it occured to me i m ight have damaged my rings when i put my cylinder back on. Should i do a compession test and see where i'm at? Perhaps i am due for a piston and rings anyhow.

Any ideas, please help me out.

Thanks in advance :|

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
On the KX when you drop the cylinder on you have to pull out the pv actuating arm very slightly -so the pin goes into the little groove between the the sandwiched washer.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
just went out , ripped my pipe off , pulled off the right powervalve cover, at first look everything was connnected properly according to some parts diagrams so i fired it up (wearing headphones :p) and reved it a couple times. I could see that the black bar that is connected to the rotator or actuator or whatever was moving up and down when i got to about half throttle, tell me , is this its normal routine or what?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sorry brain dead-the 00 povervalve was different-i was thinking of the 97, the 00 should have a arm that goes up and down like you said-it sounds like yours is working-did you remove the powervalves from the cylinder?

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
Went for another ride today for about maybe 3 1/2 hours.....still runs like complete crap but i got used to the loss of power. Rode around the track for a little bit, felt like i was going jsut as fast as before, but my powerband was lacking. Feels like it tacs out aaround half throttle, and sounds really "Tinny" per se....like really hollow and deep , like a 250....i noticed a resemblance to the way my old '86 IT200 rode..... a lot of bottom end and no pull through the top......its really friggen' weird and i dont know whether or not i like it. Im beginning to think its just because i repacked my silencer and it sounds differently at certain RPM's than it did before, or possibly because i changed my oil and my gears are either running either the way they should be or the completely wrong way....hmmm im really stuck, but still undecided whether or not i like it and also what i should do. I'm thinking its not my piston and rings because i rode my friend's 125 when his top end was blown and he still had power ALL THE WAY THROUGH unlike mine where i have abso no power. And also guys, its not the PVs because thoroughly checked them once and once again :| :think:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Are you sure the clutch isnt slipping?put it in a high gear at low revs-then clutch it with lots of throttle-if it revs instead of bogging then you have a worn clutch.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
just put it in high gear with low RPMS, pop the clutch and if it actually revs instead of bogging what does that indicate?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
1st check to see if you have 1mm of freeplay in the clutch lever-this is at the cable end -not the lever.At the lever you want maybe 5mm of free play.If you have freeplay then its time to see if the plates are glazed.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
wait hold up.....i was messing around with my barrel the other day because i had bought a new perch...could this be it? should i try loosening it? Good thinking though guys...because i always use my clutch when i shift and im thinking that could be it, the clutch problems revving it when i shift so it feels like it doesnt pull all the way through the gear. Its really weird though, like i can be riding with the bike in 2nd gear, pop it into 3rd and not notice a change in pull :p

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I love all this positive online diagnosis. Looks like (as always) Marcus is spot on. :yeehaw: Let me go and get some new "torch" batteries. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom