Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
I have a new cr 125 (already made the mistake of starting it up reving it a bit and riding it around the block) Anyhow my question is....

I have 3 oils right now in my garage (dont ask)...
I have
1) Mobil 1 mx2t Full synthetic
2) Golden Spectro premix concentrate pre mix
3) Motul 800 pre mix

the guy at the shop told me to use the golden spectro during the break in period. Anyone agree disagree? Also once i am through with the break in should i go with the mobil 1 or the motul? I've heard switching oils isnt good for the bike.

thanks everyone

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The deal with switching premixs is this: If you have half a tank of gas and brand X premix in your bike, and you mix up a new 5 gallon jug with brand Z, at this point you fill up your bike and now have 2 kinds of premix in the bike at the same time. IF they are not compatible, they could separate, thus whatever is at the bottom of the tank will go into the carb. probly stait gas and do some damage. Thats the theory. So if you run the tank dry, then fill up with the new brand of premix, you will be OK

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I've broken in bikes on both MX2T and Motul 800 with no issues. Don't have any experience with Golden Spectro but I'm sure it'll be fine too. In automotive circles, it is recommended to break in motors on a non-synthetic oil in order to ensure proper ring seat. The rationale being that the non-synthetics are not as slick and therefore promote more friction in the cylinder bore and thus better ring seating. With that said, I've never heard of a motor not seating the rings due to running synthetic at break-in. So if you really want to get into it, you could break it in on a non-synthetic. Moving forward, both the 800 and MX2T are great. I used to run MX2T exclusively but quit because it became hard to find. Then I switched to the 800 because it was easy to find; but stopped using it during the Iraq conflict. Now I'm on Motorex because it's very accessible to me.

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
i've tried looking for non synthetic and it's very hard to find.

I bought the mobil oil from kragen auto parts for about 3.25 a pint

I guess I'll start with the spectra then move onto the motul and run mobil 1 from then on. Motul costs an arm and a leg :)

Thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom