pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
But the damn bike doesnt want to work. I could hardly get it to ignite, maybe 1 out of 25 kicks. When it starts it only gets going for a short while and it doesnt want to rev at all. Then it bogs down and the sparkplug is att wet and black of oil.

I run 4% TTS oil which was no problem at all just a few weeks ago when it was just a few minus. Now its like its 50% oil, dripping out of the exhaust making the rear brake full of oil. Im put in inside for the night and see if it wants to start tomorrow but i still want it to start even when its stored outside whether its +25 or -25 degrees.

Any suggestions? I never had any problem with my old bike. I could put it away when the weather coditions began to be wet and muddy. Then two months later when its -25, a few kicks and it was up and running perfect, just a few turns on the airscrew to get it to idle. So in other words i didnt have to do anything to the bike wether i was riding on the hottest summerday with +25 or the coldest winterday with -25. No jetting, no fuel change(even if its been in the bike for months), no spark change NOTHING!

The bike is a almost bone stock 00 rm125.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Might wanna change the spark plug, put fresh fuel in it, clean air filter, clean carb of gunk and old fuel, and check reeds.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
Might wanna change the spark plug, put fresh fuel in it, clean air filter, clean carb of gunk and old fuel, and check reeds.

Did you read whole my post? I think not.

The bike worked fine a week ago when it was maybe -2 degrees. Now it wont hardly start and absolutely not fun.

BTW the bike have less than 10 hours on it.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If it ran fine in the warmer temperature 1 or 2 or both of these things are happening: 1. It is too cold for your bike to even get up to operating temperature (try and block off some of your radiator) 2. your jetting is too lean (most probable) due to the colder weather.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Back to what Durt Cycler said: Definitely change the plug and check the reeds, clean the filter, and you said the fuel was good a "few weeks ago", well, maybe it does need to be changed (I've read on here before that some oils will separate from the gas in cold temps.) -- not to mention if it's old gas and where you buy your fuel isn't exactly top notch..., and besides, who cares about your old bike? This isn't your old bike, it's a new one, and most bikes behave differently than others.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Humm The last time you rode it was it wet or did you wash the bike? Could be as simple as some moisture got into the kill switch... froze and it's pushing in the plunger... And Wow what's your jesting set at.. That let's you run such a wide range of temps with no changes at all... I've got a 99 RM 125 and seems like I'm always tinkering with the jets to keep it cleaned up.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Stay inside and drink. It is too cold to ride.

I used a blow drier to heat the cylinder on my chainsaw once. It did start after that.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Looks like you think i have just kicked it and then just realized it doesnt start period. Before i ask this kind of question i do many things. I checked the plug many times, how the spark was, blew the cylinder free from fuel repeted times etc etc etc.

I find it most unlikely that the reeds are broken on a 10 hours old bike. And as i said before my old bike worked just as good in summer as in winter, without any jetting. What i want to say by that is that atlest I, dont need to rejet, ever. Rejet seems to be a "american" thing. I never hear any of my swedish friends rejet their bikes. Well nevermind.

I couldnt wait for tomorrow to see if i could start it so i went out again. It seems like the trick was not to use the choke. I got it started and as usual it didnt want to rev so i tried to turn off the choke and then it worked fine! I stored it cold tonight so just lets hope it will start tomorrow.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You really should change your jets for the climate and elevation. Believe me, it's not just the "American" way. :)
Jets don't discriminate.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by pyromaniac

Did you read whole my post? I think not.

I don't think you did...

the sparkplug is att wet and black of oil.

A oil fouled plug WILL NOT fire.

Now its like its 50% oil, dripping out of the exhaust making the rear brake full of oil.

This would say the bike is running extremely too rich becausing of climate change causing a rich condition, or extremely dirty air filter, old fuel from oil seperating in the gas, chipped reed(s), or a dirty carb would also cause hard/no starting.

BTW anyone with a dirtbike even if you live in Sweden should have the common sense of knowing how to jet your carb for different weather because it's not like it's the same temp everyday, the same for us Americans :flame: :yeehaw: :p

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
The choke thing seems to be just luck. I tried to start it today and no good luck. After many repeted attempt to start it i cleaned the sparkplug really good this time. Then i got it to start and rev, took long time before i could rev it but finaly it worked. Yet it didnt work fine, it "hessitating" and even a few backfires and i could even see a small fire coming out the exhaust.

I think the sparkplug is the fault. Isnt there different types like how "hot" they are like a very "tuned" bike want a colder plug so it doesnt melt. Then i guiss i want a hotter plug cause the -10 degree air seems to cool off the sparkplug so it doesnt reach operating temterature. Even when i got it started i left it on idle for a few minutes but when i tried to rev it it just died.

I just want to clerify some things. The carb is very very unlikely to be glogged since the bike have had like 25 liter of fuel totally running though it. The airfilter is like new. Its also very unlitely that the reeds are broken, the bike ran good then stood still for some days then didnt want to start.

The jetting fennomen. As i said on my old bike, actually every bike i have owned - i have never ever needed to jet it and it have worked just aswell in any weather. Also my friends hardly know what jetting is. The only reason i know what jetting is because i have heard talk about it HERE. Never hear anyone talking about it on the track, never. In other hands, the people in this forum, most of them americans seems to know everything about jetting and its as common as refuling the bike. I think there HAS to be some difference, maybe the fuel, we have very good quality on our fuel because of our climate. Just the fact that i have never needed to rejet my bikes and they have always worked as good. Accoring to most of you - who rejet even the same day - i should not even be ably to ride my bike with the same jetting in summer as winter. Do you have to rejet your cars when driving them on the winter?

Finaly techkid: I want to say something very bad here but i think that only show how stupid you are. Why i want to start my bike outside when its this cold is because i cant start it anywhere else or do you think i should bring it inside spraying the floor and walls with oil? I dont. And its usually no broblem starting it even if its -25.

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
well my cars are fuel injected so they have constantly variable jetting ;)
but on bikes no matter where they are in the world, would REQUIRE re-jetting them to keep it at maximum power when the temperature changes more than 20*F or so. Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong people at the track. Yes a bike will run without re-jetting for conditions, but it WILL NOT be at maximum power all the time, just the once in awhile it happens to have the right weather/climate conditions. The first bike I had back in the 70's, I never re-jetted it and it ran fine (at least as I could tell at the time) from spring to winter (10*F to 90+*F), but now that I know how to tune for climate conditions my bikes run MUCH MUCH better. :thumb: Good luck and hope you get it going, nothing sucks more than a bike that ran yesterday but not today for no apparent reason :(

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
DId you clean your airfilter?? You should really look into learning how too jet your bike, may help you out some..
Good Luck,
RIck

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Good Luck. Also, I would try a new plug instead of trying to clean the old one. I have never been able to get a plug to work right after fouling no matter how good or how much I clean it. Anybody care to explain that?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I beleive the oil coats the eletrode to the point where is it not a conductor anymore (as a rubber is not a conductor) which then won't allow the electrode to ground out causing spark.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Man how many times do i need to say that the airfilter is clean, if its new its clean isnt it? :)

About the jetting, sure it may not be giving 100% maximum power year round but atleast 99.99%. Seriously, if its any difference at all its so little i cant even feel it. An example today i lovered the main jet 2 "clips" to try if it would be better. That did alot of difference, atleast in sound(i never rode it because i have so little ice outside it will wear out the studs). I dont know how much that should do in jetting but if my bike would have that big difference in different weathers i would feel and hear it right away. The only jetting if i should call it that, that i have heard and seen people doing is turning the airscrew. Even really fast guys at the track i never seen them rejet. Try do describe how big difference would it be to your bike if you ride it a +25 summerday and a -25 winterday or a rainy day on the same jetting. How about older cars with carbs, do you rejet them and do they run any different if you dont rejet them in winter and summer? Our does absolutely not.
I seriously think this lack of need for jetting here in sweden have to do with our fuel.
I will have to ask the people on the MC-shop what they think about this.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Dude, I just read your post and I'll tell you why your bike doesn't run right. It's because you don't know how to tune it. Every time someone gives you a suggestion you say something like, "NO read my original post the bike is brand new it can't be set up wrong, PERIOD." Obviously it's not because it doesn't even run. And cleaning spark plugs will get you nowhere. Stop being stingy and fork up $3 for a new one.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Man how many times do i need to say that the airfilter is clean, if its new its clean isnt it? :) 

Is it oiled?

About the jetting, sure it may not be giving 100% maximum power year round but atleast 99.99%. Seriously, if its any difference at all its so little i cant even feel it. An example today i lovered the main jet 2 "clips" to try if it would be better. That did alot of difference, atleast in sound...

I promise you that a 50 degree change in temperature will result in much more than a 00.01% loss in power.  Jetting also has to do bigtime with response and driveability,  if your bike isn't jetted right then you are not getting the full potential of the motor.  :)

Also,  what you are talking about "I lov(w)ered the main jet 2 "clips"  that is the needle not the main jet.  That controls only 1/4-3/4 throttle opening with some overlap to other circuits.  I am not bashing you I just think that you are misunderstanding.  There is a lot more to jetting than the needle.

Lastly,  there is not any fuel that I know of that gives good performance with no jet changes for climate or altitude or conditions...if there is such a thing ship me some of your gas! I'll take a couple hundred gallons... ;)

Happy riding...snow style!!! :aj:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hey Pyro, here's my take on it. From READING your posts :think: the bike seems to be rich, an unlikely thing with your temps so most probably something is WRONG.

Check the reeds - even new ones can break, assume nothing, check your filter - little animals like to nest in airboxes, only takes a night to fill your airbox with paper and straw.

Take the carb apart and clean it - at your temps any water at all can be a problem, as can oil from your "clean/new" filter that could block the pilot jet air feed. Make sure all vent hoses from the carb are clear of water or debris, check your tank vent too.

Also - always turn off your gas tap when you finish riding and shake the gas in the tank thoroughly so as to remix any oil that may have come out of solution - the temp thing again - before turning the tap and starting the bike. I'd be tempted to drain the carb and tank every ride - but that's just me.

Make sure your powervalve is working correctly and freely - temps can turn the oil that resides in there to treacle at your temps, causing it to stick open or closed.

Jetting....... Pyro, if you want to stick your head in the sand and say it is an "American" thing and none of your buddies do it so why should you - you are deluding yourself. A well jetted bike runs a lot better than something that isn't jetted correctly. I'm sure that the winter formula gas you have there will HELP your jetting, but you're just kidding yourself if you think jets make no difference. Sure your bike will run, but a 125 is a lot more sensitive than a 250. If you don't rejet for winter don't cry if you seize it up, or if it doesn't seize in winter don't be suprised if it is slow in summer.

Good luck :thumb:

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
I beleive the oil coats the eletrode to the point where is it not a conductor anymore (as a rubber is not a conductor) which then won't allow the electrode to ground out causing spark.

If I'm not mistaken.. The oil/fuel coats the surfaces of the plug making a bed for carbon deposits to cling too. At say point X the carbon layer starts acting as a conductor and leaches the electric charge along it instead of jumping the gap to ground.. The whole path of least resistance.. since carbon is a better conductor then air. :)

Do you have to rejet your cars when driving them on the winter?

The new cars have sensor that control it all electronically. On the older cars and trucks an adjustment to the choke was make to compensate of the cold starting.

Why i want to start my bike outside when its this cold is because i cant start it anywhere else or do you think i should bring it inside spraying the floor and walls with oil? I dont. And its usually no broblem starting it even if its -25.

Now that sound like a jetting problem... gas and oil spraying out the pipe. You keep referring back to" your old bike did this.. your old bike did that". Well guy this is not your old bike.. Is it. Read in the Owners Manual... it will tell you about jetting and claimant changes.. I doubt that it will say anything about being a geographical phenomenon related only to the USA so it must apply to your bike as well. When you get your bike jetted you'll think it a whole new bike.. ;)

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
Some oils drop out of suspension when the temperature is cold and do not flow properly as you would expect. Oil may have settled into the bottom of the gas tank and in the float bowl. I would try draining the fuel from the tank and carb into a gas can and shake the can quite well to remix the oil. I would also remove the carburator and float bowl cover to inspect for clogging/uminess and spray all the passages with carb cleaner. A fresh plug would also be a good idea.

Top Bottom