darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, cars do run differently in different weather! 2 stroke bikes are alot more sensitive to weather changes. When you talk about -25 to +25, you're talking about a 50 degree swing! Quite a big difference. You say the plug is wet and black. It's telling you either spark is weak, or jetting is off. Maybe oil is separating from fuel at -25. I would try a new plug 1 step hotter. The plug might not be retaining enough heat to burn off the oil and stay clean. I have never had good luck cleaning plugs and reusing.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Dont get me wrong. Your ideas are all valid but i just find some of them very unlikely.

Since i have always ridden in all weathers, summer or winter no matter what temprature. And havent had any problem THATS why you may feel im "stingy".
I mean sure oil could separate and block the jet and everything you have suggested, i agree with that. BUT i find it unlikely since i have ridden in the winter with 50-250cc bikes for several years in all kinds of temps with no problem. Do you understand me? Nothing you say is wrong.

And yes im gonna buy a new sparkplug, actually two :) And no animals had build a nest inside the airfilter but it was a fun suggestion :)

Im sorry Studboy, i said main jet instead of main needle. Its not i dont know a carburator or jetting works its just i dont know the english words for many things that you dont learn in school(most words associated with motorcycles i have actually learned from all you on DRN).

Someone said i that i should be happy my bike doent seize in the winter or go bad in the summer. Well thats the funny thing i have never seized a bike or have it ran bad in any weather with the same jetting! Isnt this some kind of proof that we arnt as affected about this jetting thing? I have actually jetted bikes but not due to weather changes but because i was wrong jetted when i got it. I agree a wrong jetted bike runs bad, but i have hard to believe it do so much difference as the weather change, if its once jetted correct.

If the same jetting makes so big difference in different weathers dont you think i would have felt it? I mean i have ridden dirtbikes for over 10 years as fast as i can. I would actually just be happy if the jetting made so big difference, it would be a cheap and easy way to make the bike faster. But i havent felt that the engine acts different in any weather so i havent spent any time on jetting. As long as the bike starts easy, sounds good, works good, pull good and rev good i dont mess with the jetting.

What i think caused the bike not to start and run is actually just a fouled plug. Because the last two rides i did before it didnt want to start was slow riding and thats the only time before i have had fouled plugs. The spark looked okay but it may been fouled anymay.

I let you know how it works out.

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
We jet to optimize performance. Stock jetting is a compromise as bikes from Japan are sent throughout the world with the same jetting. An average may be good enough for some who don't know or want something better. Clean and crisp jetting means less exhaust spooge, less plug following and maximum horsepower/throttle response.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by pyromaniac
Dont get me wrong. Your ideas are all valid but i just find some of them very unlikely.
pyro, The people here are just trying to help. Your comments about their suggestions make me wonder why you even wrote the post asking the question... If you are sure that all these suggestions are way off base, then Why isn't your bike running? I see you have just come to a conclusion that it's the plug. I will also point out that that was one of the first things suggested by Durt Cycler in post #3. I think if you would have taken a few ot these ideas and tried them out, you wouldn't have had such a long and drawn out thread that was a rather simple problem to fix.

Jetting on the other hand, just look in your manual and the manufacturer will show you that different tempretures require different jets. Now if you don't want to read and understand that, well that's your own perogative. :silly:

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I went to the motorcycle shop today to buy one or two sparkplugs. I was suprised by the anser i got when i said i wanted to buy a hotter plug. He said there is only one sparkplug that works on that bike and its the one you have. Also it would cost me $40 for a new one and they had to order it. I think this guy know what he is talking about, he are riding in the enduro world championships(i think thats what you call it we just call it VM).

So home i was again without a new sparkplug. I cleaned the plug again and kicked, it started on first kick then just died after a while. Cleaned it over again and started on first kick but died. Then I did the same but closed the choke and gave it just enought throttle to keep going and then open it more very carefully and finaly it reved out and i could "throttle jokkie".

It didnt could good, hesitated and didnt want to rev out when i kept the throttle wide open. When i took out the sparkplug after reving it for a while it was black. So i think you guys may be right on the jetting! The plug is not 100% good but i think its because of the jetting. I have to say i didnt want to believe thats whats wrong since i never had to deal with it before but lets forget about that ok? Now im a new person with a open mind :)

Is it ok if i start a new thread about it, well i do it anyway.

Something you want it to be simple and cheap to fix and therefor you think it can be something else. Also i havent been in my best mood, maybe im still not cause now when its finaly good iceriding weather(couldnt ride at all last winter!) the last thing you want is the bike to not run!! cause i looooove to ride on the winter.

Thanks all and im sorry for all negative things i have said. Im really not that kind of person and i dont want to be either.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
TechKid, you need to shut up or get out. We don't come to these forums to listen to brats like you.
pyromaniac, buy a NGK BR9ES and try that. Those run about $2 American.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Pyro, When you gonna learn that cleaning a plug OVER and OVER and OVER isn't getting you anywhere. :moon:

Get a NEW plug in it and I gaurentee it will run fine. It sounds like that plug you keep cleaning is fouled out and is dead. Buy yourself a handful of jets and learn...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If the plug came out balck, then something is waaaaay too rich. The plug should only cost $2 for a BR9ES or a BR8ES, the 8 being one step hotter than the 9.

Try this out. James (here on DRN) was having a jetting problem on his brand new bike. He removed the large bolt in the bottom of his carb bowl and found out that his main jet vibrated out and was not screwed in at all. That might not be your problem, but try getting the carb back to stock configuration settings and see if that helps along with a new plug. Since you have cleaned your air filter, then the only other source of a rich jetting problem can be the carb. If after further inspection, your carb is OK and (with a new plug) it still doesn't run, you might want to see if you are getting a good spark.....

Keep us updated.

Top Bottom