shaneevans1

Dec 6, 2006
Bike for a big guy. UPDATE - Please post an opinion. I have trade offers!!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'1" 240 - 32" inseam.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 7 on a scale from 1-10 Big, fit guy, but I dont want to have to wrestle my bike. I just want a comfortalbe trail ride that can play and jump too.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? 75% on trails with family, inc. kids. 25% split between track and open fields.
4) Do you have any riding experience? Riding for 30 years. HOWEVER, been on sport and utility quads since '88, plus streetbikes. Very little experience on full size dirt bikes.
5) Do you think you will race ? NO!!
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Like 2, but need 4 stroke because of #3 above.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All avail, but I am looking for a used one if I can find the right one.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?4-5k
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Want high quality suspension, not a whole lot of technical maintenence, (dont mind checking valves, but NOT every several hours of riding) Am selling trading my oldest sons and my quads to get on bikes. (out of room in the toy hauler) (I have 4 sons)
11) I really like the crf250x/450x, and have seen some for sale with only a few hours in my price range, also some wr250fs.. input will be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!! :cool:

Last edited:

shaneevans1

Dec 6, 2006
Ok, It looks like its down to two bikes that I have trade offers on.
05 CRF450R - I would have to purchase and add a light kit. (kick start only)
04 WR250F - Less hp, already has light kit, and adds e start.

Remember, mostly trail riding, 6'1" 240 lb rider.
ANYBODY have experience on both these bikes.
I know I can do a few really cheap mods and pick the power up on the wr, and likewise, I can change sprockets on the cr and make it a tractor.

Please respond with opinions!!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
shaneevans1 said:
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Like 2, but need 4 stroke because of #3 above.

I'm not sure I'm following this, are you saying you need a 4 stroke because you want a quiet bike for riding trails with the family etc? If so that CRF450 better be an X or you will hate life.

shaneevans1

Dec 6, 2006
Chili,
No Im not worried about DB as much as having to worry about and deal with fouled plugs on long slow trail rides with the family.

If it was only my 13 year old and myself, we would both be on two strokes.

I realize that I am trying to get the best of both worlds, and the wr that I have a trade offer on, might be as close as I get. I am interested in the cr450x, klx450r (when its released), or the crf250x, but those arent on the table at this moment. So it was down to the cr450r or the wr250f. I really appreciate the comments!
Shane. :nod:

shaneevans1

Dec 6, 2006
Elliot, I am not trying to get off topic, but it is fricking freezing here, how are YOU?
Oh, and if I had a trade offer on a 250x or 450x, I would have done the deal already.
I guess I am not too educated on the differences between the 450r and the 450x. I assumed that it was primarily gearing and electrical. I am going read some more.

Shane

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
lol, yeah. it was pretty cold here today. but as the night goes on its getting warmer. :coocoo: it was around -22 degrees Celsius around noon today, and now it's -9 c.

the 450r's are motocross bikes. they're built for racing, and tracks.

the 450x's are trail bikes. built for withstanding trails.

i'm a beginner to the sport, so all the info I have, is from reading the boards or extensive reading of other materials. you might want to check in with another member of the board that knows a lot more than I do, for a better explanation of the differences between the x and r.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
shaneevans1 said:
Ok, It looks like its down to two bikes that I have trade offers on.
05 CRF450R - I would have to purchase and add a light kit. (kick start only)
04 WR250F - Less hp, already has light kit, and adds e start.

Please respond with opinions!!
For the riding you've described I think the WR250F would be the best of these two bikes - however, with your size I would hold out for a WR450f or a CRF450X.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
KelvinKDX said:
For the riding you've described I think the WR250F would be the best of these two bikes - however, with your size I would hold out for a WR450f or a CRF450X.

I would agree with Kelvin. As far as fouled plugs that's nothing that a few minutes to change your jetting can't solve, I can putt all day on my RM250 and have never fouled a plug. The WR250f with the free mods will be fine but I think you will find yourself wanting more bike down the road. Also keep in mind that bikes like the CRF450r need the bike to be moving decently to keep from overheating fairly quickly.

shaneevans1

Dec 6, 2006
Thanks for the info on overheating. I had not thought about that. It would be an issue. In south Louisiana, we often wind up riding in pretty warm weather. I am going to ride over and look at the wr250f.
Thanks Guys!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom