Bike for the mountains and desert

CBRob

Jun 25, 2006
Guys, I'm looking to switch bikes this year. I've been riding a 2001 KX250 and have been having lots of fun with it, but fell I would be better off getting the bike that suits my needs, instead of modifying the kx250.
I ride lots of rocky trails, and want a bike that tractors well. I have lots of ledges and boulder fields to deal with, and the mx bike just does not want to go as slow as I do.
I like two strokes, and would prefer to ride one, but I will ride a 4stroke if its the best bike for the job. I know how to tune 2 strokes from working on sleds, and know that they can make torque if they are built for it.
I want a headlight and tail light. I want to go on some after work rides, and will have to out in the dark sometimes. I also want to be able to plate the bike, makes it easy to connect trails legaly.
I want to be able to catch moderate air and not break stuff on landing. I want to be able to find parts easily, and not pay more than normal arm and leg for them.
I want a bike thats pretty quiet, or can be made quiet with a simple silencer swap.
3 years of experience, 175 lbs 6 foot
high altitude--- needs cc's

ride in Crested Butte and Moab areas

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
GasGas EC250 or EC300 for a two-stroke.

Since you ride where there's big elevation changes, a GasGas FSR450 or 515 might be worth a look. Great GasGas handling, plus EFI!

Yes, I'm biased towards GasGas, but only becuase they make great bikes!

two-stroke

Feb 23, 2008
ktm's 300xc, or if thats a bit much for ya the 200xc loves the tight technical stuff

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom