schanxj

Apr 1, 2007
1) your physical size ...5'6"...165#
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?...I ride slower than the other guys I ride with.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????...Michigan single track woods, mostly Grayling area
4) Do you have any riding experience?...Last year on a 99 KX 250
5) Do you think you will race ?...no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?...I do all my own work except machining
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?...Kawasaki 2 or 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?...will be buying used
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?...$2500-ish
10) Do you live in California?...MI
11) Your age?...32
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Last year was my first experience on a good bike. The Kx 250 seemed to be a handful for me in tighter trails...I spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear unless I was on a straitaway. My biggest problem was the physical size of the bike, the height made me uncomfortable. To help solve this I lowered the front shocks in the triple clamps and took most of the preload off the rear but I think that is making it have a ton of headshake in the top end. While looking for a bike for my friend I sat on a 2000-ish Kx 125 and it felt great and im now thinking about getting one but im not sure how that is gonna be in the trails around here...Is the bottom end as flat as everyone says? The other thought is just keep riding the 250 and get used to it more. I cant help but keep thinking about how the size/weight difference on the 125 felt so good. The guys I ride with both have 250's and I ride last in our pack, I am consistently 5-7minutes behind them. They have also been riding for most of their lives so I dont expect myself to keep up. Lemme know what you guys think...thanks in advance!

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
well i could be wrong here but i'm pretty sure 125's and 250's are almost identical in size and don't differ too much in weight either. so if you sat on a 125 that fits you, you should be able to find a 250 that works also. The 125 would probably be the better choice though since you are just starting out.

schanxj

Apr 1, 2007
dpaxson said:
well i could be wrong here but i'm pretty sure 125's and 250's are almost identical in size and don't differ too much in weight either. so if you sat on a 125 that fits you, you should be able to find a 250 that works also. The 125 would probably be the better choice though since you are just starting out.

You're right...I looked at all the #s before I decided on the 250 and they were close so I went with the 250 thinking that if its too much bike for me I could downsize...Its been my experience thats its always easier to downgrade than upgrade. Maybe the 125 I sat on and started has an after market suspension..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom