qdog

Aug 13, 2003
i have a 96 kdx 200 and when the bike is running in neutral it seems that the gears are somewhat engaged. i think this is the case because a) i can hear it b) i can not read the fluid level in it and i can see the gears turning inside. should this be happening? the noise stops when i pull in the clutch. any help would be great. thanks.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
What you see is the clutch basket... you should have a oil level of some sort. Sit the bike level and check. With the bike on the stand or tipping it to look while on it will likely show no oil level. Some KDX's have noisy clutches when in neutral with the clutch let out... mine is for sure.

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
it doesn't say but it does say to check the level after you change the oil by running it so as the trans fills with oil then you check it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The easy method is to just dump a whole quart of oil in. Then you KNOW you have enough. That's enough to completely cover the sight glass when the bike is level. BTW, you have to check level with the engine off.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
The gears will turn with the bike in neutral, and you should check the oil level with the bike not running. But you had figured that out already I think.
With the oil quantity dump in a full quart. If you put in the amount that the manual specifies there can be a problem if you leave the bike idling for a long time or ride large distances on flat level streches. It has something to do with the oil not geting to the kickstart idler gear as the level is slightly too low. I have heard of one bike seizing the idler gear to the shaft because of this.

Top Bottom