ZoomByU

Mar 28, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6', 250lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
7/10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
MX and woods
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Had a '96 CR250, sv650 and gsxr 600
5) Do you think you will race ?
If so it will be a hare scramble or two
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Basic stuff but willing to learn to save money
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Kinda partial to honda. Woud like a 4t but open to 2t.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Not buying from a dealer too expensive
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Under 3k
10) Do you live in California?
thankfully no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I liked my old cr but even with street and track day experience I think it was a little too much bike for me, especially the on/off power. A 125 may suit me well but I like the idea of the power down low of a 250f. I may be big but I don't think a 450 is for me. I'm also trying to get back into riding to help shed some pounds and plan on riding at least once a week.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
You are a big guy for any 125. You may also be too big for a 250F, if you are a 7 out of 10 on the aggressive scale. You might try a Yamaha WR450. It wont have the abrupt light switch type power that the CR 250 had. It will have plenty of power down low and plenty of top end power as well.

ZoomByU

Mar 28, 2007
I should have said I'll ride more MX than woods probably 80% to 20% woods. There are three tracks within an hour from me. Why do you think a 250f would be too small? I think if I were to get a 450 i would just put put around the track. I liked my gixxer 600 at track days b/c I was consistantly faster than guys on liter bikes who would scream down the straight but park it in the corners.

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
No offense, you'd likely kill the suspension on the 250f. If you didn't care for abrupt CR250, you may have to get the 450 thumper. Try before you buy.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
In come tacks said:
No offense, you'd likely kill the suspension on the 250f. If you didn't care for abrupt CR250, you may have to get the 450 thumper. Try before you buy.

suspension on a 250f and 450f is exactly the same from the factory.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
If you don't want a 450, then maybe look for a 250 smoker with a bit more of a linear pull like a yz. Throw a flywheel weight and a gnarly pipe on there and take away some of the hit and I think you would be happy with a 250 smoker although 125 smokers are a ton of fun and teach you really good habits on a dirt bike. I would stay away from a used 250f, they are often grenades just ticking to go off...

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
If you are riding 80% MX, buy an MX bike. No one bike does both MX and trails flawlessly. 250 smoker is the way to go...your skills will improve over time.

Top Bottom