Bike won't start - need more ideas

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
Hi folks -

I'm looking for more ideas on my current bike problem.
Background - my 2002 KDX 220 sat through last riding season (sat for a year) in my shed. Now I can't get it started. I have read posts on how to correct the problem, but no luck. Got any ideas?

This is what I've done:
Drained old fuel out and replaced with fresh premix (93 octane)
Installed new air filter
Removed and cleaned carb
Adjusted air screw and throttle stop screw to stock spec
Installed new spark plug
Confirmed it has spark
and even talked to it nicely

The thing is getting fresh air, fresh fuel and has spark. I'm down right puzzled. :|
Yes, the gas petcock is turned on when I kick it.
I kick; the engine turns nicely, but doesn't start.
I've tried jumping it down a hill several times.
Little help.

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
You could check your compression and see if it is in range.
Try removing the spark plug and fuel tank, turn the bike upside down and while holding in the kill switch take and crank the kicker a few times to see if the crank is loaded up with fuel or oil.
Last week i tried starting a buddies bike for over a half hour, finally pulling the air filter we found he had left a sock in the air boot when washing it prior!

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
Was the sparkplug wet after pushing it down hill? If not, there's something keeping fuel from reaching the cylinder. It's either not getting into the carb or not getting through the various fuel circuits in it.

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
I pulled the pipe off - no blockage there.
I pulled the new air filter off - no blockage up there.

I haven't checked compression, yet. I have been hoping since it ran well before it sat, that the rings would be fine now. But good point. I'll do a compression check.

Ok. Getting any residual gas or oil out of the crank case sounds challenging. Any words of wisdom before I get into a cage match with my machine? I'm strong, but whenever I get into a wrestling match with my bike, it usually wins. Any ideas how to flip it over? I have a motorcycle jack, blocks of wood, etc. Does the bike have to be completely inverted?

The plug is wet with fuel after I kick it or try to jump it. I've tried kicking it with no throttle, little throttle, and full throttle. It doesn't sound like it is even considering to start. Note - when I try to start it with full throttle, it has a "hollow" sound when kicking...none the less...it doesn't start.

Great suggestions all. Any more info is appreciated. I'll get back to you with results from the next round of testing.

Thanks,
jr

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
I don't suppose you pulled the flywheel off during the off season. If so, check to make sure that the woodruff key is in the keyway so that the flywheel is correctly alligned on the crank. If it spins a few degrees on the crank, it will still make spark, just not at the right time. Don't ask me how I know.

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
slodad said:
I don't suppose you pulled the flywheel off during the off season. If so, check to make sure that the woodruff key is in the keyway so that the flywheel is correctly alligned on the crank. If it spins a few degrees on the crank, it will still make spark, just not at the right time. Don't ask me how I know.

No- The bike was untouched for a year.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey mate i would say your crank seals have dried out, take the plug out, squirt a load of crc (or wd40 or engine start what ever u guys have in the u.s) down the plug hole, put the plug back in quicklly and kick it over,
see how that goes???

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
KIWI KDX said:
hey mate i would say your crank seals have dried out, take the plug out, squirt a load of crc (or wd40 or engine start what ever u guys have in the u.s) down the plug hole, put the plug back in quicklly and kick it over,
see how that goes???

Hey Kiwi - would the squirt of wd40 be intended to lubricate the crank seals or assist in combustion?

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
To help with winning the wrestling match, get a buddy.
Take the rear fender off to prevent breakage, put a bolt in the crank case breather tube to prevent oil from dripping on floor," dont forget to remove when done".
Lay bike on its side and each person grab a wheel and tip it up so the bike is sitting on its handle bars and rear fender brackets, the bike should sit in this upside down postion on its on.
Kick over with kill switch depressed so no spark to ignite anything till dry.
I have seen 2-3 ounces of fuel come out from leaky float valves? not sure why it just dosn't go out the overflow tubes first.
Good luck.
Just a foot note, the crank is seperate from the tranny and all you need to clear out is the crank.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
it is to assist combustion, i know u said your plug was wet, but if your crank seals have dried out or cracked, it wil create an air leak and may mot pull enough fuel through.
how long do u wait before u try to start it again, as i have hed a few 2-strokes
that if they dont start the first time, they would flood and need to be left
for an hour or so.

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
KIWI KDX said:
it is to assist combustion, i know u said your plug was wet, but if your crank seals have dried out or cracked, it wil create an air leak and may mot pull enough fuel through.
how long do u wait before u try to start it again, as i have hed a few 2-strokes
that if they dont start the first time, they would flood and need to be left
for an hour or so.

I tried starting on different days. I'm hoping the seals haven't cracked...that would be tragic.

I'll post more once I try the ideas everyone has posted.

HUGE thanks!

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
It Worked!

I did what you guys said and it worked! I pulled the tank and rear fender off, pulled the plug out. Flipped the bike over to drain, kicked over a bunch of times. Righted the bike; put it into 4th gear and ran it around the driveway for about 5 minutes. Checked compression...130 psi (money). Poured a teaspoon of fuel down the spark plug hole into the cylinder, replaced plug and wire. Kicked once...and it cranked up for about 5 seconds. Put everything back, added gas and the rest is history. I even did a few victory laps around the house - wheelies and everything! Neighbors love me. Man, I dig my kdx.

Everyone who took the time to read and make recommendations or comments on this thread...much thanks. It wouldn't have happened without you. If you are ever in Virginia, let me know and I'll show you some bitchin' trails.

Later,
jr

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom