jthib26

Dec 19, 2004
I have a 98 CR125. It wont kickstart. The other day I was able to push start it and it ran fine for about a hundred yards that I got on it. As soon as I let in the clutch, it died. It would not start again (kick or push).

I have taken the carb off and blew out the jets and soaked it in cleaning solution. I've taken the reeds out and they look fine. Air filter is good. I took the plug out and changed it. It's gettin fire. It seems to have good compression. Im just guessin by puttin my hand on the spark plug hole. I dont have a compression tester but it seems ok. When it did run for a short time it had plenty of power and ran like it always has. What should be my step?

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Is the spark a nice bright blue color??? Should be... If the spark is weak it won't start. Get a compression tester and check it with specs. Ever check the magnito for dirt? If you don't keep that area of your ignition clean you'll even have problems with dirt entering crank seal causing premature wear on crankseal and even worse bearings! If you never rebuilt the topend then perhaps it's time. Check Compression! Don't Guess.... Sometimes you'll get rust between the ignition coil mounting bars and the tabs on the frame that could result in a poor ground... Clean tight E connections are very important. Good luck, you'll find the problem if you check properly.

jthib26

Dec 19, 2004
I bought a compression tester. I checked it and it registered maybe 65 psi. I then decided it was time for me to do my first top end job.

Pulled the head off and took the piston out. Piston is noticably scarred. Cyliner wall also has a little bit scarring. I have a new piston and rings and gaskets and all that. I have never honed anything so I have no idea how or what to do there. What should I do? any tips are greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom