Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
To this point I have been able to remove all the bearings inside my engine. I have one blind bearing that is not coming out, its the bearing that helps turn the power valve. I have tried a blind bearing puller but it was not small enough. I have tiried heat but it will not move. I do not want to try to cut it out becuase I do not want to buy another cover.

Does any one have any tricks on removing a blind bearing? :worship: This is the only item I have left until the motor is together and I can ride.

Thanks,
Woodbyrd

girlsbike

Dec 2, 2001
My step dad told me about this trick.Fill the area behind the bearing with axle grease and find a punch or something similar that just fits in the bearing hole.Find a suitable object to hit the punch with through the hole,it should force the grease to force the bearing out.May or may not work in your case.I think this is what he used to remove pilot bearings in manual transmissions,which is the same set-up.
I can't believe that the heat wouldn't work.Were you heating the bearing or the case?
Good luck

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
girlsbike,

I do not think that will work the bearing is all the way up against the case, no where to put the grease, interesting idea though.
I was heating the case on a hot plate, I might try a sticking it in an oven and see if this has a different effect.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Get the right puller! the grease method could cause you to damage the case. might have to take it to the dealership. Are you sure the bearing is damaged?

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Yes, I am sure becuase it will hardly turn. I will see if I can find someone around here to pull that little bearing out.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I've seen guy's use really fine cutting tips on dreamal tools. And remove the bearing piece by piece.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Woodbyrd said:
Does any one have any tricks on removing a blind bearing?

Thanks,
Woodbyrd

Woodbyrd.

If you are heating the case in an oven, the bearing is expanding along with the case. Try using a torch with a large tip or 'rosebud' tip. Heat the case from the outside of the case, away from the bearing so that the bearing is the last thing in the case to be heated. Try to pull the bearing before you feel too much heat in the bearing itself. If you can't find a inside bearing puller to fit and the bearing is damaged already, you can weld a bar or piece of metal to the inside of the bearing to pull it out.

As a last resort, if you have a TIG welder near you, have him weld a bead on the inside of the outside race. This will shrink the outside race and the bearing will fall out. :thumb: Works every time. You can also use a wire welder for this but, a TIG is much cleaner since a wire welder produces spatter.

Just my $ .02

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Ol'89r,

It is out! I used your idea of heating with a torch on the outside of the case. Just for a little extra I put assembly lube in the bearing. As the case heated up the lube worked its way every part of the bearing. I then just tapped the outside of the case with a lite hammer and the bearing just fell out. I am glad I did becuase few small piece of metal was in bearing. No doubt from the broken power valve bracket on the shaft. Thanks for the help.

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Ol'89r,

It is out! I used your idea of heating with a torch on the outside of the case. Just for a little extra I put assembly lube in the bearing. As the case heated up the lube worked its way every part of the bearing. I then just tapped the outside of the case with a lite hammer and the bearing just fell out. I am glad I did becuase few small piece of metal was in bearing. No doubt from the broken power valve bracket on the shaft. Thanks for the help.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
louis said:
ol89r. That number sure looks familiar. Mid 70's maybe.

Yep. :thumb:

Top Bottom