Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I have an '04 KDX 200 that I've had for about 2 months now. I keep blowing the taillight bulb. It seems to me that there is too much wiggle in the whole taillight assembly and the vibration is destroying the bulb. I've had it apparent more than a few times already and all the bolts are tight. I'm thinking that if I space out the steel inserts a bit with some rubber washers it will hold the assembly a lot tighter to the fender.

Has anyone else had this problem?

kxjet

Jul 31, 2004
I've had my 04 kdx200 since late July, and have blown 3 tail lights. I too think that the light assembly seems a bit loose. I just put a new bulb in today. My fix is gonna be a MX rear fender, and I'll save my stock fender for when I need it.

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
I noticed that mine was blown today. I agree that the whole assy. vibrates too much. The rubber washers is a good idea.
When I noticed how much the tail light moves around, I shut off the engine and proceeded to tighten the housing. Bad idea! I stripped out the bottom of the housing. Try this.....get some foam and trim it to go between the fender and the housing, this should work.At least the tail light won't rattle!
Dave

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
light bulb

You might try checking your voltage regulator. It might be defective causing the problem. Another solution is to replace with an LED bulb, no filament to break!

Eric

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Everybody has the problem and there are a lot of solutions to tightening up the light housing, I elected to shorten the screws so it would tighten up properly, but there are other easy solutions, some that are mentioned above and only limited by your genius.

When you get the light tight on the fender, you bulb will still burn out pretty frequently because of vibration. Buy and LED bulb and be through with it. If you read this forum, you will see lots of uses for the extra watts left over by the use of the LED bulb. One of the advantages is a better headlight at low rpm. The LED bulbs are available in clear and white at your favorite auto parts store, and I think the number is the same as the factory light.

Ride on--John

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I decided to go with the LED, seems the best solution. Checked at every auto parts store, performance shop and tractor trailer parts dept I could find and have come up empty. Does anybody have a source on the web? I did a search on this site and found the superbrite site, but do I really need a bulb with 12 LED's? Seems 4 or 5 would do the trick. At this point it is just a tail light, not a brake light.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Bulb Troubles

I've got an 03, and haven't had a problem. Did you call the dealer who sold it to you? They'll fix you up. It could be a voltage regulator problem. Vibration may wiggle the filaments loose in the bulb, but I think it would take a lot of vibration, or a crash. My suspect is wrong voltage going to it. The bike being brand new, within 2 months, should still be under a 3 month warranty (I can't remember how you get a 3 month as opposed to a 1 month). Even if you have to pay to fix it, it shouldn't be too much.

Good luck.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Don't worry about the bulb having 12 LEDS. It will still draw less juice than a standard filament bulb. LED bulbs are a very popular item with Harleys as well the vibration kills filament bulbs. My Harley and my KDX wear LED tail lights.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom