Blown fork seal !!!

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Never had this happen before, but I had a hard hit and one of the oil seals started pouring out oil. Anyone else had this happen? And of course you have to get a special tool to take the forks completely apart and nobody stocks it. It's HARD not being able to ride for a week or more.
Thanks....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
To change a fork seal, you should not need any special tools. You do not have to remove the rod to do them. The only special tool you will need is a fork seal driver.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Cactus Jim is correct that you can do it without a special tool...but its tough.

However, don't buy the tool...you can make it yourself for about 3 bucks with a trip to home depot or lowes. You need a 27mm hex nut and about 17 inches of 3/4 inch tubing and some JB weld (or other strong epoxy).

Instructions can be found here (CLICK)

For those of you who read this that have a 95 or older KDX, same thing goes but you need a 30mm hex nut instead.

Good Luck

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
That’s nice. :confused: Never bothered making more tools (have some for other bikes forks) since I got my rattle gun. Just put the spring back in & push on it, bolt comes undone. Lean on a broom handle if you are real serious.

Special seal installers. Also from Home depot or whatever you guys call it.

Conduit pipe. The thicker grade, comes in handy sizes, 2 or 3 foot is enough to clear the fork tube & push the seal in (on outside edges).

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Thanks for the info guys ....
I thought about making the tool, but didn't know the size hex nut neeted, and figured after all the running around, trial & error, welding, etc., I would just spend the $8 and forget it. I really couldn't see any way to remove the dust and oil seals without removing the rod and separating the two fork tubes. Best to do it right.
Thanks again ....

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Cactus Jim,

You can also use a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot to make fork seal drivers out of. Simple and easy.

Obie#8 ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…