metalho

Dec 24, 2009
Hello! New member here with a fruustrating question. Just got an 86 KDX200 that has been sitting for a long time. Bike starts first kick, idles great, seems to rev great until really high rpm. If taking off from first and ripping the throttle, first and second gear bog when high rpm is reached. Once in third and through the remaining gears, it rips and seems to rev perfectly. I have cleaned the carb/air filter/pulled the reeds and inspected? Don't know the problem! Any ideas? Power valve seems to be functioning properly. Could it be something that it will come out of and maybe just a result of sitting for a long time? Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Greg - Welcome here. Maybe your float is adjusted too low... or the screen on your fuel valve dirty ?? I'm just thinking in a max fuel use situation, maybe you are coming up short and starving out? Let us know what you find. Dave

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
sounds like your running out of fuel at high rpms clean carb and jets or you have to lean of a main jet and like the other said only other thing i can think of is a leaky crank seal open up the stator cover most of the time a little oil residue is in there if its leaking

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
if its sputtery bogging then its cleaning out the build up of mix if its whoaaaaaaaaa ...kind of flat sounding then it has no fuel...lean bogging

for sputtery try setting the clip on the needle one notch higher and test

make certain your warming your bike up all the way for the testing

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
sr5bidder said:
if its sputtery bogging then its cleaning out the build up of mix if its whoaaaaaaaaa ...kind of flat sounding then it has no fuel...lean bogging

for sputtery try setting the clip on the needle one notch higher and test

make certain your warming your bike up all the way for the testing

Thanks for all of the help! As embarrassed as I am to admit this, I was taking it a test drive and as I was driving, I thought "I wonder if it will rev out if I flip the choke on?" So....I reached down and flipped the choke and the bike took off like a bat outta hell! Yes...The entire time, the choke had been on!!!!!:) What I thought was revving out in the last gears wasn't even close to full power!! These things wll scream!. Anyway, thanks for helping an idiot out :)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
ha!! so indeed it was "sputtery bogging"
I had this Brazilian dude riding in my neighborhood and he was on a yz 250 and always though "that thing sounds way out of tune, well one day he finally stoped by and I ask him how he liked it and all then said it did not really sound right

short story same thing, the choke was on, he was amazed how the yz250 would pull and kinda scared, but he's a friend now and I took him down to durhamtown so he could really ride

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
sr5bidder said:
ha!! so indeed it was "sputtery bogging"
I had this Brazilian dude riding in my neighborhood and he was on a yz 250 and always though "that thing sounds way out of tune, well one day he finally stoped by and I ask him how he liked it and all then said it did not really sound right

short story same thing, the choke was on, he was amazed how the yz250 would pull and kinda scared, but he's a friend now and I took him down to durhamtown so he could really ride

haha

I guess i just took the guys word for it that the choke was off when he dropped it off at the house!

anyway, long story short, the bike runs like a champ and I couldnt be happier!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom