r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
What is the biggest bone head thing you have ever done to your bike while thinking at the time you were doing the right thing? Tell us your best story I want some laughs.

Mine, I had just bought my first bike from a freind (88CR250) and we enjoyed a full day of riding. I asked him what I should do to the bike as far as maintenance now that I had ridden it for a full day, he mentioned several things to do one of which was to bleed the air out of the suspension, he pointed out the bleeder screws on the forks and explained how to bleed the air out. After getting the bike home I did all the items he mentioned along with bleeding the air out of the forks. I then looked at the shock and saw what looked just like a valve stem. I thought wow they made it easier to do for the shock you don't even need a screwdriver! Needless to say the next time my freind and I went riding he was following me through the woods and when we got back to the camp site he started looking at my shock. He said my bike looked like a pogo stick bouncing through the woods. He asked what I could have done to it? I said, I bled the air from it just like you told me to! His reply was,
YOU BONEHEAD!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
LOL,
Great read but I couldn't have phrased it better myself. My friend, read the "preload and the Nitrogen setups" for your paticular riding! It will save alot of heart ache and good hearted ribbing!

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
When I was in college in Colorado, I rebuilt my cr125 engine in my dorm room. Everything was going great until I tried to install and tighten down the case that held the water pump gear. I forgot to make sure that the gear mated properly, and tightened the case down hard enough to break that gear. A lesson learned the hard way I guess. :whiner:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I read newton meters instead of foot-pounds and over torqued A LOT of bolts on my bike. Squished a lot of stuff, and it cost a lot in new bolts etc....DOH!!

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I had my FMF rev pipe sitting around for too long (running the torque pipe). One day I decided to put it back on, so I did. Loaded the bike, went to the trails and it wouldn't run above an idle. I took it back off and guess what? A mouse had made a nest in it!! :confused: Always make sure your pipe is clear before you put it on.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OK...I've done this more than once in my years of riding.
(so have YOU!):)

Fire it up, take off...and the engine dies. Kick, kick, kick....take out plug, re-insert plug...kick,kick,kick....take out plug again and check for fire...kick,kick,kick...kick...kick (pant pant pant) kick, kick, kick...notice fuel petcock is off.
One kick...Wiiiingggggggg Wwwwiinngggggg......... :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah the reverse of that Jay, is open bell mouthed road race bikes, & you place rubber covers over them to stop them ingesting water & dust while storing them. Many the happy time spent running around the pit with this damn bike that won’t start (no kickstart either of course). Then you finally find the bung but the bike is now flooded. More pushing.

I have 2 more embarrassing moments but I’m keeping mum. Oops 3, & counting. . .

PS this should really be in General discussions forum.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
installing new powervalves and powervalve stop, don't put stop back in before kicking over bike and piston gets jammed when powervalves rotate too far forward and pinch the piston in place, I then proceed to take off the mag cover and rotate the piston backwards and notice the piston is heavily gouged from the incident, new topend is in order, what an idiot I am sometimes

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
hhhhmmmmmmmmm countless boneheaded things
Always the fuel shutoff so bad that now I can ride in the woods for a 1/2 hour or more and when I get to an opening I still reach down and check it to see if its open so I can let er rip :think:
Change a plug and forget to put the cap back on constantly do that with cars also working on points always put the distributor cap back on before I put the rotor back in.
Take a spark plug cap off while the engine is running or kick over the bike while holding the plug checking for spark. Is it a nice blue spark? I dont know but my face is flushed and my hand is burnt.

Had a 74tm250 that I would always buy an ignition cover for instead of buying the chain and sprockets to keep from ripping my ignition cover off.

Had a 77 cr125 that I constantly bottomed out on. hmmm only these four goofy notches for spring tension ,pulled the shocks apart made spacer to preload the spring more. When I finally hit a bump that compressed the spring, the rebound of it makes me believe I invented that freestyle trick"the kiss of death" by accident a long long time ago. Luckily an endo is a very hard thing to accomplish when you have your forks filled up with WWWAAAYYY too much oil and they dont compress at all.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom