Boots!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
I didn't post this in the product reviews section because I wanted the women's opinions specifically. What do you all wear and like? I currently have Fox Formas and am thinking about upgrading. The boots aren't really in bad shape and they fit ok, but after a really long ride they rub the side of my foot and I actually have callouses on the front of my ankles. It doesn't seem to matter what type of socks I wear. I think I want a nicer pair.

I have tried on Tech 6s, Tech 8s and Vectors. I kinda liked the Vectors but they're UGLY and they have a pretty thick, round toe--worried about ease of shifting. Sidis, Gaernes, and AXO RC-5s are also on my list. Tried on a friend's O'Neals and I don't think they fit my foot shape as well. I know Alpinestar makes the MSR boots, but if you line the two up together, I don't think the MSR version gets the same attention to detail the ones that carry the Alpinestar name do.

The problem is being able to try them all on before buying. Nobody carries a wide enough selection in size 6 to be able to comparison shop and I will NOT order them in without trying them on. As I still have functional boots and I will be putting them on layaway, I have been looking at the higher end products. After my Trackers I have decided that boots are one thing on which I will spare no expense.

So: what do you all wear? What size in women's shoes do you wear? What foot shape do you have? How have they worn in and held up? Thanks, all!

I wear the same as you do now, the Fox Formas. I love my boots. They fit me really well and aren't too worn out. My husband wears Alpinestar Tech 8's and he really loves them. He has one bad ankle so he needs the extra support. My feet are a little bigger than yours (9) :eek:, so I have the boots in a men's size 8. I think the best thing to do is go around to differnt shops (if your able) and try different ones on.

I hope you find something! :cool:

bbbom

Subscriber
Tech 8's only thing I'll wear. I've heard others complain that they are stiff and heavy but, I don't do much walking in mine. They are a little stiff when new and I had to get used to the thick toe for shifting and the stiff ankle for braking but after about 3 rides they had softened up and I had gotten used to them. After using some 20 year old Hallman handmedowns, it was an adjustment.

This is my 3rd season with them and they are in great shape, even with the abuse I place on them. I need to replace the metal toe plate due to an encounter with the rock but I think the replacement piece was all of $8.00.

Normal shoes size 9.5 - 10 womens, Alpinestar Tech 8's size 9 mens cause I love my huge fluffy socks when it's cold out.

I currently am wearing a pair of wore out Alpinestars Tech 7. I recently purchased a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8, wore them once & sold them to a friend for $150 because I couldn't get used to them--couldn't shift or brake. Although after a conversation with Kiwi last weekend, he said that I didn't give them enough time to break in. I then purchased a pair of Alpinestars Tech 6 because I thought if they didn't have the little booties in them that I could get used to them--NOT! I now have a pair of Thor T20 that I am going to take back because they look too cheap--and they were. I am going to see if I can find out how to get ahold of Alpinestars and get a new pair of Tech 7. They lasted forever & the break-in period was minimal. I wear a size 7 in womens shoe, but 6 in mens boots.:think

bbbom

Subscriber
KTMster, go for the Tech 8's. They do take a bit to break in, like I said it was at least 3 rides for me and I wore them just doing yard work too in order to speed the process up. You can't beat them for protection AND comfort once they are broken in though. Maybe you can get the first pair back from your friend, they might just be broken in now!! ;)

bud

Agree that the stiffer boots take some getting used to. Wearing tech 6's for the first few times after Trackers made me feel like I had a lump of wood in place of a foot. Almost no feel for braking or shifting at all. I got over it surprisingly quickly though, only 3 or 4 rides. The old Trackers feel like tennis shoes in comparison, and offer about as much protection.

bwalker

Lifetime Sponsor
t8's all the way

Go for the tech 8's. I was haveing problems with shifting my bike when I first got them. I moved the shift lever up to compensate and have loved them ever since.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
I just got Tech 8's. Wore them for the first time yesterday. After about an hour's worth of riding I was used to them. I love them. My foot is wide and I wear a size 7 1/2 in mens shoes. I got a size 8 in techs, and they fit perfect. Also if your getting callases on your ankles, the tech 8's have the little bootie thing in them with this gel stuff that protects your ankle. Not only that this piece is replaceable, its ajustable (you can move them around in the pocket that holds the gel insert) to fit your ankle. I came from a pair of boots that were 8 years old and were a pain in the you know what to get off my feet. The tech 8's were so easy to get on and off. Anyways I love my boots.

bbbom, I couldn't think of asking to buy them back--she was too happy. But, you did give me an excellent idea. She likes her gear looking new so maybe after she breaks them in I'll see if I can trade her a new pair of Tech 8 for the broke in ones. :cool:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Boots

The MSR boots are virtual copies of TECH 7 boots. I`ve had about three sets and they hold up just as good as alpinestars. But my last pairof boots that I bought I had to get TECH 6`s. I needed them that day and they didnt have my size in the MSR boots. At first I didnt like how stiff they were but aftera couple rides and a GNCC they finally broke in. But I think the MSR boots have a tighter more secure feeling ankle area.
Well thats my 2c`s
mxbundy

mxbundy, thank you! That's exactly what I am looking for. Do you know what the MSR style is called that is like the Tech 7?

bbbom, you quack me up! :confused:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
I've had a pair of AXO RC-3's that served me well for 5 years. I can't say if the RC-5's are still as good. I replaced a toe plate on one. The buckles are starting to break down, and the sole is getting chewed in a few places, so I decided to start looking for new boots as well. The dealer near me was very nice, and offered to order a couple pairs of Alpinestars to see if they fit. I tried on the M4's (too little padding, rubbed me wrong), the Tech 8's (nice, but as stiff as my ski boots!), and the Tech 6's. Just right! Good padding, good protection, decent price. Took a few rides to break in, but they've been very comfortable. This past weekend, I even soaked them down and had to ride for 2 days with wet feet, and didn't get any blisters or raw spots. I need to go in and waterproof them, as they didn't keep out water when standing in only a couple inches. I wear a Women's size 8 shoe, but felt that the A-stars size 7 fit best.

Don't count out SiDI...

I'm doing a review on the FlexForce (in SRS and regular soles)...
I've been a big fan of the Tech 8 since it was released (Tech 5's before that), but have got to say that my initial impression of the Force is VERY positive. It just may become my long term boot over the Tech 8.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Okie, I'm sure that SIDI's are nice boots as well, but they don't seem to make their boots in the smaller adult sizes that we women usually wear. I think the last time I looked, the smallest adult size they offered was an 8. I could be wrong, and hope I am!