GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I bought a second hand KDX 200 '97. I would like to know if Booysen reeds are installed. What is the difference in looks between the original and Booysens?
The origanal owner of the bike is long gone, like a turkey in the corn....

What else can be done to improve bottom end? Whats that spaser thing that gets installed on the side of the power valve shaft?
I have a FMF pipe on.

Cheers.... and thanx for your advice.....good or bad...as long as you give advice...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Aftermarket reeds should have the oem reedstops off, too. If you have just metal strips where the mounting screws are, chances are you have aftermarket reeds, cuz that's where those metal pieces would come from.

If you still have the large, heavy, spoonlike limiters......they are either still oem, or the 'turkey in the corn' didn't put the aftermarkets reeds on right in the first place.

Doesn't matter. If the bike is new to you, you would do yourself a big favor by replacing them anyway.

re: other things that help bottom end

A KIPS that works
Proper jetting (BIG time!)
12T CS sprocket
Correct sag/shock compression clickers (application of power)
A mototassinari deltaforceII reed cage.
Use a good premix oil.
Torque ring (increase headpipe length)
Reedblock spacer
-35 FmF pipe
RB carb

Spacer thing? What's that? You're talking about a hemholtz resonator cover spacer? That's on the LH side. I don't think that's what you're talking about, cuz that is the opposite side from the KIPS activation shaft.

In any case, a hemholtz cover spacer will change the power band 'location'...when it happens. It's application/use is of some disagreement.

Oh..take your suspension apart and grease it. Steering stem, too.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply. It was good reply.
Canyncarvr, you were right about the hemholtz resonator cover spacer. Thats what I was refering to. Can you please inform me more on the Torque ring and Reedblock spacer.

Thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
just cause you got boysen reeds, does not mean they dont need replaced. Make sure they are not frayed or split on the ends and that they fully seat to the reed block.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Paying attention is good. So...heed what matt sez. I'd go a step further and replace 'em anyway. The original query regarded 'bottom end'. Starting with what you know is a good, too. You KNOW reeds should be replaced best-case on an annual basis, that yours have a questionable lineage.....so get new ones!

A torque ring is cheap. I think fredette has 'em.

I think moose makes the reedblock spacer.

I've used neither of them.....don't have an opinion one way or the other. I've read a positive post or two about them....not a whole lot.

Give them a try and let everyone know how ecstatic (or not) you are with the effect!

Don't overlook the rest of the list. A 12T sprocket is a cheap + for bottom end, too!

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks canyncarvr

Since I live in South-Africa there are a lot of H2O between me and fredette and moose. And to ad petrol to the fire, the exchange rate between the Rand Dollar is 1-10. Thats one of the advantages living in ganster paradise.
But i will shop around here for those. Maybe i'm lucky.

Ill look into the rest of your list.
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: which reeds?

Same as which jets......those that suit.

Higher tension reeds work better at higher rpm ranges.
Lower tension reeds work (you guessed'er chester) better at lower rpm ranges.

Take your pick.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I run mostly in tight trails that wind through out steep mountains and hills. I think I will purchase lower tension reeds for better lower end. Right now I have Boyesen Power fiberglass reeds and can see a great difference over the stock reeds. Is there a big difference between the Boyesen fiberglass reeds and the low tension pro carbon tech reeds?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I haven't compared carbon to fiberglass directly. From fiberglass to a radvalve (those are carbon), but that wouldn't be an oranges-oranges comparison.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom