mark808

Aug 22, 2006
has anyone heard of boss bearings? they are a little cheaper than the hot rod bearings. but is it worth saving $20? any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
mark

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
follow up

i was looking at the hotrods bearings and i noticed that they say they are for hotrod cranks only. i will be using a hotrods crank. so are the hotrod bearings the only bearings that you can use with this crank?
thanks again
mark

JayC

Dec 18, 2006
mark808 said:
has anyone heard of boss bearings? they are a little cheaper than the hot rod bearings. but is it worth saving $20? any advice would be appreciated.

They're the same.

FWIW, most if not all bearings in dirt bikes are standard metric bearings. Look up a bearing shop in the yellow pages and check them out next time you need wheel bearings. The bearing size is stamped on the side of the bearing - you can also bring your old bearings in and they can match them. You can easily save 50% over buying the same bearing from a bike shop.

JayC

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
that would be fine for wheel bearings. i dont want to put just any bearing inside my motor. this is a job i want to do right and only once. ill probably go with the hotrod bearings. id rather have piece of mind with a well known product than $20 in my pocket. unless somone comments back with good news on the boss bearings.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Boss doesn't make the bearings, they just sell them.

I've dealt with them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
JayC said:
They're the same.

FWIW, most if not all bearings in dirt bikes are standard metric bearings. Look up a bearing shop in the yellow pages and check them out next time you need wheel bearings. The bearing size is stamped on the side of the bearing - you can also bring your old bearings in and they can match them. You can easily save 50% over buying the same bearing from a bike shop.

JayC

The brands you can get at the bearing house are also better quality than the OEM bearings. Bearings made overseas, even Japanese, will never compare to American made bearings.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I see American made bearings sold under many brands including Timken, NTN, SKF, FAG, National, BCA, etc... However, even these companies sell a mixed bag of USA and imported bearings.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I usually just order them through the OEM for speed and convenience reasons, but if you can match up the numbers, bearings are available through many auto parts stores such as NAPA and they are available through many industrial supply stores such as McMasterCarr and Grainger. You aren't going to save money buying bearings through the industrial supply store, their markup is quite large at times. If you can get them through an automotive parts store, you will save a ton of money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom