KrackerRacin

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 5, 2002
How hard is is to do the bottome end of a 2 stroke. i'v been told it is hard but i hav also been told it is farly easy. I tore apart a few car motors and i am machanicly incline but is realy a pain in the a$$

ACES 2

Jul 13, 2002
I am about to try my first lower end this year.I got some great advice in this forum,from the service manuals and the best was Eric Gorr`s video on lower end rebiulding.I got that and his maintenance book and feel very confident.Besides,if you get stuck a quick post should help.Good luck,ACES 2

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you can tear down a car engine, you can do the bottom end. It really isn't difficult. Use the manual for reference and keep everything spotless.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I just did my KX, It would have been nice to have a manual, but ive done other motors before so i wasnt skeered. the only thing that makes it hard is all the crap thats involved, there are so many parts to take off.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you can do a car engine you should be able to split the cases on a bike. The "engine" isn't hard it is only going to be a crankshaft supported by two roller bearings at that point. It's the transmision that can be tricky. Once you pull the one case side off make sure there are no shims stuck on the bearings that support the transmision shafts and take a good luck at how the shift forks sit and you should be fine. I usually have a harder time remembering how the kickstarter gear and spring or the powervalve governor goes back together. Probably because I will tear down most of the bike one late night in a frenzy and when I get to splitting the cases it is saved for a day when I can take my time. Whether you adapt an automotive steering wheel puller or buy a special puller for your bike doesn't really matter but having a puller secured to the case well and pushing against the crank squarely is key to making it easy without causing any damage. But beg borrow or buy the right puller for your flywheel.

Jim Clark

Oct 17, 2001
While you have it apart polish the shift star and the shift drum channels along with the fork tines, with a fine cratex and follow up with a good cleaning. Will usually change the shifter from clanky to smooth.
JC

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
A lot of patience is needed. I've never had too much trouble getting it apart, but putting it back together has been a little tricky before. Luckily I had help and a press that was big enough. I heated the cases in the oven, and had the crank in the freezer, ALMOST went together completely without the press, but I wouldv'e been screwed if I hadn't had it available. DON'T heat the cases up over 190-200 or you can damage the seals.

jet373

Apr 2, 2002
yeah there gravytrain to rebuild ..... the rod recon on the crank is the only thing i dont do cause i got friends that will press them and true for free .....on going back together ..i use a heat sink in the center of the case like a big socket big enuf to cover the seal and i use a little torch to heat the case where the mains meet the case and if the crank is tight after rebuild i use a soft dead blow mallet to knock the crank around sure to hit square on the ends with a block of wood not to mess up the threads ..... to make a puller i built bolts i took 7/16 std bolts and got some all thread in 6x125 and cut to the length i wanted took nuts put them on the end of the cut allthread tack welded them on slid washers on the 7/16 bolts and welded the allthread to the bolts they work slick i had for a long time

Top Bottom