crash5

May 26, 2000
I have a Y2K KX-125. The top end has been done twice. I am in winter project mode and am wondering about maybe it is time to do the bottom end on the old girl. I have the eric gorr performance book and he seems to recommend bottom end service on a yearly basis. I would have the bottom end done somewhere else and do the top end myself.

What is the typical cost of bottom end service? I am toying with the big bore kit from E.G. and maybe I could just send the whole motor out. If anyone has sent the whole thing to EG for the works, what kind of $ did you end up spending. I have seen his pricelist, but for all his work, but what does it all end up adding up to (top and bottom)?

Would it be more cost effective to have the bottom done locally and just send the cylinder to E.G. ?

Thoughts and comments please.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Theres some simple ways to check the condition of the crankshaft. You can measure the side clearance by inserting a feeler gauge (available from any auto parts store) between the crank and washers on the big end of the connecting rod. Normally the maximum clearance for a 125 is .025 inch/.1mm

Theres lots of good dirt bike mechanics all over the US that can offer reliable engine rebuilding services without you having to rely on mail-order service. I'd suggest looking for a local mechanic and get a price quote. Make sure he specs a Hot Rod kit because they last longer than stock and include the top end bearing.

If anybody reading this knows a dirt bike mechanic is Crash5's area please include it in a post. If you have a good mechanic in your area, let us know in a post here. It can be a shop or a home-based business, or even a dealership mechanic who rebuilds dirt bike engines on the side. Often times a big dealership won't accept dirt bikes into the service department because of insurance liability. But the service manager can usually recommend a source. When I was a dealership mechanic I raced dirt bikes. It was common for racer-mechanics to get recommendations for engine rebuilds because it was one of the ways the dealership sponsored my racing.

Any plugs for your favorite local dirt bike mechanic?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom