jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Here in Utah it has been extremely dry this year and as a result in June all fires in undeveloped areas were banned and as of last week no campfires are allowed period. After reading the following in the paper this morning I guess this didn't apply to a group of scouts and the scout leaders that allowed them to maybe cause the East Fork Fire.

"The Great Salt Lake Council of Boy Scouts of America has appealed to the public for help in rebuilding portions of the East Fork of the Bear (River) Boy Scout Reservation, damaged by a wildfire that charred more than 14,000 acres and that may have been started by the Scouts.
A day before the fire was discovered, Scouts were learning to ignite campfires as part of a merit badge project, even though fires were banned in undeveloped areas."

The real flame is the quote below from the BSA.

"Whether we started [the fire], the bottom line is that we run 7,000 to 8,000 Scouts through there each year," Tikalsky said. "We need to have that back in operation."

Below is the link to the story

http://www.sltrib.com/07162002/utah/753999.htm

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
It is a bad deal no doubt. :|

That is 35 miles south of my house and my boys spent a lot of time at that camp when they were younger.

The loss will have a big impact in the entire area for a long time.

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
Just lived through the Rodeo-Chedeski fire here in Show low, Az. :eek:

While this fire was ongoing, a scout leader in Payson, AZ attempted to start two fires which were quickly suppressed. He was apparently showing the scouts "what not to do". DUH! I'm sure his little scenario he played out to the scouts was topped off with the local law enforcement officers visit to their camp and his subsequent arrest.

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO FRIGGIN STUPID!!!!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom